The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 10:46 PM

Magoo79 is on a distinguished road
Default Sinking line

I am using a Sage 10wt TCR rod, I am currently using Rio Outbound short head intermediate sinking line. I need something that can sink faster and get deeper for a pike/musky trip coming up. I was looking at possibly getting 400 grain line. I'm looking for a balance of faster sink, and getting some distance to move large flies. If possible I would also like to cast with my tcx rod as well. I know they say online that the tcx is lighter, faster and stronger, but it seems to me that my tcx is a little slower than my tcr. Would 400 or 450 grain line over load the rods?

Thanks,

Mike.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:58 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sinking line

The TCR/TCX rods in 10 weights can handle 400 to 450 grain heads easily. I used a guide's TCR 10 weight with a Rio Outbound WF10I/S8. It was wonderful to cast with 4/0 wind resistant striper flies.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:25 AM

I would like to do outbound line because I seem to get the rod to load pretty good, however I just can't seem to keep the running line from turning into a giant birds nest when I try to shoot it. Granted, the recommended cast distance is only about 40ft for musky because the line stretches when you try to set the hook in their bony jaw, but I would still like to be able to get line out without picking apart knots before i strip the line in. I've even tried to straighten out my line by pulling out line and using a wet rag to press the line tight to try and get any twists out of my line. Any suggestions to a tangle free running line?

thanks,

Mike.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:32 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of the integrated shooting head lines from various brands have tangle issues especially in warmer water. You may want to go to a true shooting head system and use a thicker running line (.032 to .035 inch).

MP
Old 02-03-2010, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Magoo,

Maybe a different way or method to lay the slack line you are going to shoot. Here are a couple of ideas.

1. When you strip line off of the reel in preparation to shoot the line you have to be sure the line is stacked in loops coming from the rod. So when you shoot the line each coil will go forward in its turn. If you have coils on the boat floor and you strip line from the reel and it lands on top of the other coils you will have a tangle.

2. Try Lefty Kreh's suggestion of forming a loop with your finger and thumb with the line hand as you release the line. The line shoots through the finger and thumb loop then into your first guide. I have used this method and it does help.

3. Use a casting basket, five gallon barrel or something to contain the line so you don't step on it. This applies to a boat. Strip off the line, then coil the line into your container. With a little practice as you strip in line you will coil it in the basket/container and be ready for your next cast.

Frank
Old 02-03-2010, 02:19 PM

I've tried the william joseph basket belt for when i am fishing from shore. Normally I lay it on the boat floor, and I try to layer it. If I'm using divers or a fast fly that needs to be stripped fast, I take long fast stripping strokes to move the fly. Part of that could be the issue. I also use the outbound cold water line, and sometimes chicago weather gets in the 90's so I wonder if I should be using a tropical line. Sometimes the water is only 70 or 80 degrees though so I'm not entirely sure. I hear some people use a laundry basket so I was thinking about trying that idea.

mike.