The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2010, 01:57 PM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road
Default Replacing the leader

When I bought my set up, the guy put it all together for me. He used a nail knot, which I know is common, to connect the line to the leader. Being a beginner, I've almost gone through my leader already from tying on new tippets.... so...

How to I reattach a new tapered leader? Do I have to cut my fly line directly below the nail knot and then reattach?

I just didn't want to jump the gun and cut my fly line... so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks for any help.

- Justin
Old 02-25-2010, 02:19 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Replacing the leader

Cut the flyline right above the nail knot.

What I usually do is tie a piece of Amnesia (or other 10-15lb mono) to the end of the flyline. Put a perfection loop (or whatever loop you want, I prefer the perfection loop) on the other end of the mono. Leave 3-4 inches of mono between the perfection loop and the nail knot.

When you get a new leader, tie a perfection loop (again, any other loop you prefer) in the butt end of the leader. Loop to loop connection, and you're fishing.

Just my opinion....
Old 02-25-2010, 02:28 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Hey Justin,

Did the shop guy give you a 'butt' section? I.e.-- is the leader nail knotted to fly line or is a short 4" or 6" piece of mono nail knotted to fly line with a loop in the leader end? You will see the connection point if looped. If looped, You can just put a new leader on the loop-- if not, you can do one of a dozen different things-- (with increasing degrees of personal preference...)

1. If you are happy with his nail knot, Cut existing leader down to 6" and use that as butt section--put llop in the end of this 6" section and loop new leader to this.

2. If you are happy with his nail knot and have enough leader available, just put a double surgeons loop in the leader and use that as your butt section/leader and move on to a tippit system-- loop a new tippit on and go.

3. Cut old nail knot off and make own butt section-- new leaders will just loop to this

4. put a loop in fly line (either weld one, whip one-- this is what I do.., search how to put a loop in fly line)- and put a furled leader on there....
Old 02-25-2010, 02:45 PM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindogt View Post
Hey Justin,

Did the shop guy give you a 'butt' section? I.e.-- is the leader nail knotted to fly line or is a short 4" or 6" piece of mono nail knotted to fly line with a loop in the leader end? You will see the connection point if looped. If looped, You can just put a new leader on the loop-- if not, you can do one of a dozen different things-- (with increasing degrees of personal preference...)

1. If you are happy with his nail knot, Cut existing leader down to 6" and use that as butt section--put llop in the end of this 6" section and loop new leader to this.

2. If you are happy with his nail knot and have enough leader available, just put a double surgeons loop in the leader and use that as your butt section/leader and move on to a tippit system-- loop a new tippit on and go.

3. Cut old nail knot off and make own butt section-- new leaders will just loop to this

4. put a loop in fly line (either weld one, whip one-- this is what I do.., search how to put a loop in fly line)- and put a furled leader on there....

It is a tapered leader connected to the fly line with a nail knot... I believe it was a 7.5 ft leader... I have about 4 ft left on it. So if I cut it back to the start of the taper, I should then tie in a perfection knot? Then tie a perfection knot in my new leader thus connecting them with a loop to loop...? Will this be a strong enough connection for a 5 wt?

Thanks,

Justin
Old 02-25-2010, 02:53 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

addendum to my first post-- excuse the poor pic quality, cell cameras leave a little to be desired....

First pic: whipped loop in flyline-
Click the image to open in full size.

second pic: fly line and furled leader loops together--
Click the image to open in full size.

This is my preferred method of line/ leader attachment-- the only knots I tie anymore are easy double surgeons knots (on tippit material to attach to leader) and whatever I tie the fly on with.... everything else is 'pre-rigged'...

pm for better pics-- I will get my camera all set up with micro if you want better pics.

---------- Post added at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

presuming that your perfection knots are tied properly--your leader set up will be, for all practical purposes, just as secure as when it was just a tapered leader.... All you have done is put a 'splice' in the system-- will be as strong as your weakest knot...
Old 02-26-2010, 08:31 PM

boser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura about

Tony, That is the same way I am set up....I love the loop to loop method for sure.

Boser