The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2010, 12:17 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly line color, does it matter?

Jackster, my previous post was not aimed at you. I have no problem with using subdued colors. I have no problem with using bright colors. What I'm aiming at is that my friends idea that black is the color it has to be, is not only wrong but, well really wrong. As you say they make lots of subdued colors, like the green his line was before the hour and a half he went at it with Mr. happy marker. But can you find a single black floating line? From anyone? If black was such a good idea, don't you think somebody would make a black floating line?
troutnut4 likes this.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:53 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Pardon me if I'm being blunt, but... Haven't we all been catching tons of trout with bright lines for decades? Writers always need a new angle to sell theirnext book/article, and this might be the case here. If it ain't broke, don't fix it doesn't apply to an author that needs to publish something new. Should we believe everything we read? Is the latest info the best info? I think there is a certain part of an angler's mind that says, "Yeah I catch fish, but how do I catch more and bigger fish?". One option is to examine equipment, and rightly so. You don't want to cast a 10wt line with a 5 foot leader to spooky fish...they get spooked! After all the equipment has been optimized, the question may very well linger for a lifetime.

One could:
*Blacken a line, and see if their fishing improves.
*Focus on a delicate presentation, and not line fish.
*Use longer leaders. Guys like George Harvey used 12' and longer.
*Realize that fishing is often better when the Sun is not at its brightest point.
*Wait for the next issue of a magazine that re-examines this topic from another perspective.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:16 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Dan, we have some very smart fish here. Most people can't turn over a 18+ ft. leader.
Since our fish respond negatively to being lined by a bright line, I put dark bands on light fly lines with a green marker for 6-8 feet up. That way the client can see the line to mend, but the fish aren't clued in (yet). I use the mirror on the fishes ceiling to my advantage quite often. If you can't see them, they can't see you.

Jim

Bigfly
Old 03-22-2010, 10:39 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
I put dark bands on light fly lines with a green marker for 6-8 feet up. That way the client can see the line to mend, but the fish aren't clued in (yet).Jim
Do you think the banding breaks up the image the lines creates? Kind of a camo thing. What colors are you talking about when you say bright lines? I can see the theory behind banding your line, but this doesn't really address turning your whole line black. You wouldn't do that would you?

And Frank is right, we have all been catching Trout on bright lines for decades. And they are still making the bright lines. I still have not seen a single black floating line, and believe me, I've been looking.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:47 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Yes Jim we do have some smart fish here but if you can't catch fish around here I highly doubt the color of your fly line has anything to do with it. The problem would lie with the fly choice or presentation. Bright colored fly lines have been and will be used for years. I'm sure the manufacturers of the lines have put plenty of dough into r&d to find out which colors would work best and more often than not if a fish is spooked by a cast it is the ripple in the water that did it not the color of the line.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packfancjh View Post
Bright colored fly lines have been and will be used for years. I'm sure the manufacturers of the lines have put plenty of dough into r&d to find out which colors would work best
This is a point I have made to my extraordinarily stubborn friend till my head hurts. The fact that there is not one single black floating line on the market shows it's not the best color. It does not mean it wouldn't work, even though it is the farthest contrasting thing color you can get from the sky. But it does state with laser beam clarity, turning your flyline black by setting there for an hour and a half with a black magic marker is a waste of your time and ink. If black floating lines were a good idea you could get one that didn't require a marker.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:11 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Dan, exactly! I think it breaks up the line profile. I say again, If you can't see your line (or bobber) you can't really adjust your drift.
I like a camo, (moss) colored line, but often the clients can't see it. So, I line up lighter lines (beige, gold, lime, whatever) I use a dark green permanent marker for banding. An all black line would be tough to see, and therefore tough to mend.
We have a lot of good guys come here and get blanked, or only catch up to 18-20" range.
To consistantly talk to Walter on the Truckee (or any tough water), I think a higher standard is needed. Perfect leaders, perfect cast, perfect drift, correct food choice, and be very sneaky. The line color is but one factor in sneakiness, but is does factor in as far as I'm concerned. I've met more than a few scoffers about the need to raise the bar.(Not a shot at Packfancjh) But on the Truckee (or any tough water), I'll stand on my experience in seduceing larger fish. I think they get better at this game, and we need to change things up to keep our advantage.
A. Burk was on an unnamed coastal river recently chasing wild Steelies, said they ran away from his bright yellow Spey line, he said Rio lines won't take dye, so he used a marker too.
There is a video of Mike Weir fishing for sea run browns in Chile, he takes a break from getting skunked to use a marker on the tip of his line. Game on!
Whatever works for ya. Myself, I care only about results, and I test quite a bit. Don't know about black lines, but I have been using a black thingamabobber in the glare/mirror water. Works great, fish don't seem to mind late in the day and I can see it looking straight into the sun.

Jim

Bigfly

Last edited by Bigfly; 03-24-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:32 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

The big fish around here have no issues biting the flies I offer and I use a bright green Rio line as well as the numerous guides and other fisherman that I fish with. The group I fish with has a bunch of different colored lines and we have all (but 1 guy) been getting into fish no matter the size. I will stand by my statement that it isn't the line color if you aren't getting into fish nymphing. It comes down to technique, fly selection and hole choice. To me, the fish will see the sillouette of the line regardless of the color so if you think the color is throwing them off try a different casting angle and see what happens.

After checking out similar threads I came across a post by fish bones and thought it needs repeating

"I find it difficult to believe that the fish will react to a specific color floating fly line in most instances. The fish will react to shadows on the water and the fly line passing through their window of sight. Movement is movement and it won't matter what color the line is. So, you should plan your casts carefully and not allow the fly line to fly too high or across the trout's line of sight. Pay more attention to your casting skills and accuracy than to what color fly line to use."

Last edited by troutdoorsman; 03-24-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packfancjh View Post
"I find it difficult to believe that the fish will react to a specific color floating fly line in most instances. The fish will react to shadows on the water and the fly line passing through their window of sight. Movement is movement and it won't matter what color the line is. So, you should plan your casts carefully and not allow the fly line to fly too high or across the trout's line of sight. Pay more attention to your casting skills and accuracy than to what color fly line to use."
So you don't think my Canadian pal is right that a black line does not spook fish when it passes over them? Because I don't either. And as BigFly just said "if you can't see your line, you can't adjust your drift". Which is why I'm 100% certain there is no such thing as a black floating line on the market, anyplace on the face of the planet. As for fish reacting to line passing over them, I don't think that many of them react all that adversely. People succesfully troll for them in the Great Lakes in 30' boats with water as clear as drinking water. I can't imagine that a tiny little fly line would spook them worse than a 30' Sportcraft running on one and sometimes two V-8 engines. I cast still water all the time, so I put line over the top of fish all day long. I knock the snot out of 'em. I think the "fish spooked by a line" thing is highly over rated. If you read back through these posts you can see others who put line over fish with no ill results too. If you are swinging flies, and you work from top to bottom, you never put a line over a fish willing to bite anyway. If you are stripping line as a retrieve, how do you avoid putting line over a fish unless you hit 'em in the head with the fly? Unless you see them traveling and cast into the path they are on. I think my Canadian friend is making the mistake of looking at it from the view of the angler. The fish don't see that view. They see it 180 degrees out, where every color of line is seen from the shaded side. I have even cast line and had fish come up to see what it was, looking at the line, far from the fly.

After all of these posts, it seems that Nobody thinks Black floating flylines are the way to go, or am I missing something here?
Old 03-25-2010, 06:38 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Not necessarily black, but I'm convinced dark (muted) is always better than light... especially white.