The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2010, 10:13 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fly line color, does it matter?

Owning a black or dark floating line would be pointless in my opinion because you are putting yourself at a disadvantage in that you can't see your line as well to be able to control it.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:04 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by packfancjh View Post
Owning a black or dark floating line would be pointless in my opinion because you are putting yourself at a disadvantage in that you can't see your line as well to be able to control it.
Could not have said that better myself. Spot on.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:39 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for sharing your interesting ideas on color, shadows and light. I personally think that anything above the water creates a shadow which is inherently black or worse shiny. Perhaps when you have an ambiguous target and covering large water does this concept of stealth become an issue in spooking trout. Ideally as Davo says only the fly and perhaps the tippet is what the fish sees but blind casting in bright light or fast water is frequently encountered. With that said has anyone tried the Monic or other clear flylines? I personally have used stealthy colored DT/F lines for spooky fish with long leaders in everclear water and either due to drag, the wrong pattern, size or color struck out. On the flip side using bright chartreuse has produced from longer casts to targets when I can get the fly just perfect.? I purchased a WF/F Monic fly line recently and just tried it on some warm water species but it's too soon to tell. I'll be bringing this setup to a trout stream soon and share my results ( 2weeks on the same rivers, after some of the most awesome trout fishing I've had in a while with 'selective' trout lines). BTW, I should quantify that I'm no pro-fisher but have reasonable skills and do not represent a manufacturer.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:48 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

I think an all black line would be great for night fishing, since I can't see anyway.
Other than that? My thing is doctoring the last few feet of line, and then, only to get an advantage on other fishermen, as much as the fish. Since the fish learn to look at flies carefully, as well as leaders, bobbers, and lines. Why not work the angles? Just sharing a way I do it.
I have looked at this from the fishes perspective (literally).
Looking up while under water, you'll see broken shadow and light areas. That is how a banded line looks. Not a continuous light or dark profile.
Swim and see, (Just wait till it warms up).

Jim

PS. Dan, let your friend dye it black, fish it, and then give a report. It is better to try and fail than argue about it. By the way, can you hear running water yet?

Bigfly

Last edited by Bigfly; 03-27-2010 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:21 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

He already fished it all last summer and fall. I caught about 3 or 4 fish to every one he did. However, I was using a spey rod and my leader was 6 feet longer than his. I cast further and am sure I was getting deeper than he was. That being said, the vast majority of the fish I caught were close in and in shallow water. I am also positive I had line running over the top of most of them. My line is a mint green. Airflo, mint green. It's two tone, with the running line being nearly white, as well as the front taper. As close and shallow as most fish were caught, and the fact we used the same flies ( I tied all of them, so they were identical ) leaves two variables; line color and leader length. I'm not sure he can turn over a 15' leader, and I really don't want chop mine down to 9', so this may be as far as the experiment may go. And I sure as heck have no intention of coloring my line Black. I do have another green line I could loan him. That's one way to help keep the experiment going. But given the time we fished, in the same place with the same flies, but as I said, leader length and line colors being the primary variables, I'd have to say bright mint green worked 300 or 400% better than black. Not sure what percentage is attributable to the extra 6' of leader. Even if it is half of it, you are still looking at Bright mint green being 150% to 200% better than black. Who knows, it may have all been the leader, but I doubt it. Like I said before, if you look at this from the view of the fish, you have the line against the light colored sky. There is no color, not even optic orange as far from a white cloud in the spectrum as a black line. It's as far a contrast as physics allows. I wouldn't even have started this thread, but he has been like a dang Bull Dog with a bone, and has tried really hard to wear my last good nerve out with it.

The ice is almost off the whole river, it has past my house and has almost made it to the lake. The way it keeps getting colder than heck, dries stuff up and has cut down the severe runoff from the snowmelt. (It's still not all gone yet), But the river is clearing up. Last week it looked like coffee and cream, now it looks like a good dark tea. Which is about as clear as it gets. The Big Fork and the Little Fork rivers have not opened up yet,and that always makes a mess out of things. We'll see how it goes.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:44 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I have never noticed any difference with line color - though I have never used black, of course. I normally use at least 15' or so leaders for bones which will spook if you line one with just the tippet. But they are usually in very shallow water when I'm fishing for them, and it could well be that their tails or fins actually hit the leader.

As soon as I develop x-ray vision, or fish only over white sand on cloudless days when the sun is high, I will quit lining fish.

The color of the line does not seem to make any difference to me. I think more are spooked by waving rods and un-natural movement of grass than by the fly line. I have noticed no difference between flourescent orange, blue or tan.

I have had a number of large bones track on my fly, then follow the leader to the line and the line to within 5 feet of me before turning and swimming leisurely away. What tips them off, I don't know. They are not afraid, and are not pissed. When they are pissed off, they hump their backs up, push a lot of water and sometimes slap their tails, just to let you know you are invading their territory and are not welcome.

For those who havent heard this story, I once had one that my fishing buddy had surprised about a minute previously get so pissed at me when I dropped a fly in front of him, that he humped up and swim nearly a full circle around me slapping his tail every 10 feet or so before he finally swam off. That was the most pissed off bonefish I ever encountered - definitely had an anger management problem. Good thing they don't have teeth like cuda, or I'd probably be missing a foot now.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 07-29-2010, 09:28 PM
Banned

I was sent a Trevor Morgan 'Javelin' floating Spey line to test. It has a white shooting head. While I was testing it, something very telling happened. I posted this post on the Salmon Forum;

I was lucky enough to have a couple of Trevor Morgan lines sent to me to try. The floating line has a white shooting head. As I had mentioned in a previous post on this thread, my Canadian friend colored his lines black with a magic marker believing light colored lines scare fish.The Trevor Morgan 'Javelin' line is the first floating line I have used with a white shooting head. I had however told my Canadian friend he was looking at his line from the wrong side. Fish are dark on top so they can't be seen from above, and white on the bottom so they can't be seen (easily) against the sky from below. Millions of years of evolution can't be wrong. I told him it makes much more sense to have the shooting head white, or light blue than black. I think I witnessed the truth in that last statement. I did a perry poke, and as I was coming up into the start position, a large fish struck at the line where it was coming out of the water. Clearly the the fish could not see the line, and thought there was something racing across the surface that may have been edible. It saw the white mouse, but not the line. If this does not show that white lines are hard for fish to see, I don't know what would.

The white line is also really easy for me to see, so as far as I'm concerned, white is the best of both worlds. Easy for me to see, invisible to the fish. If you don't think it is hard for the fish to see, hold a white line or twine against the sky, then try it with virtually any other color. I believe you will be convinced. This was my first white line, but I'm sold on it. I had theorized about white, but now I'm convinced.

I also used it from a boat casting parallel to a weed bed for Largemouth Bass. I ran the line over the top of almost every Bass I caught, and I caught a pile of them. Although Bass are not horribly line shy fish, I still think it still shows the white shooting head does not scare fish.

If you want to camoflauge something, you make it the color of the background you see it against. The only way I think you could make it harder for fish to see would be mottle it with light blue. Not that I'm recommending getting out a blue magic marker.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:23 AM

tob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to behold

You may tune the color on your line with Rit color powder.
Just boil the water -add the color powder - add the line ( temp water 80-90 degrees Celsius) - stir and look at the line for the color you want - then fast rinse it in cold water. A big advantage with this metode is that all the memory in the line goes away and the line gets much more smoother and the coating get more faster.

Click on the link http://tob1.smugmug.com/Other/VideoD...013_z5LvX-A-LB and a video start - that show the preparing the line
Click the image to open in full size.

Trygve
Old 08-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Trygve do you add tomato sauce and italian cheese after cooking the line?
Old 08-03-2010, 10:29 AM

tob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
Trygve do you add tomato sauce and italian cheese after cooking the line?

Only the fly dressing for my taste

btw. you should try it. It have a very high WOW factor .

Trygve