The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 12:10 AM

drakegunner is on a distinguished road
Default Best Floating Pike Line

Hey everyone. Brand new to the site. I'm looking to get back into fly fishing after a few years off and I have my sites set on Pike this time, mainly because I won a fishing trip to northern Ontario. I'm leaving in a few weeks (Memorial Day weekend)

I have a Wild Waters 9' 8wt saltwater rod. It is quite a fast stick.

My question is: What type of floating line should I get for casting the beastly flies I'm tying?

Also plan on terrorizing the carp on our Traverse Bay flats again

I can't believe all of the line options out there nowadays.

Right now looking at either Rio Outbound, Clouser, or SA Pike.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again.

-Larry
Old 04-28-2011, 12:25 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Floating Pike Line

Hi Larry,
Welcome to the forum.

My friends who make trips from California to Pike country use Rio Outbound Short floating lines. They like how the short, heavy head turns over those huge flies on their fast rods (Sage TCX, Xi3, Scott S4S, Winston B2Mx). If your rod is that fast, you may want to use that line.

You may get a response from Diver Dan. He may have his own slant on the topic.

Dennis
Old 04-28-2011, 01:03 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

The line I like best for Pike flies is the SA Mastery Pike/Musky taper line. I toss a lot of big and sometimes pretty heavy flies. Like the Reynold's Pike fly. When wet it's kind of like casting a wet sock. It's the best Pike fly ever though. Big Dahlberg Mega Divers are good too.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:52 PM

Any one have any experience with the clouser line?

Dan- What size/ color do you like best in your pike flies?
Old 04-29-2011, 01:19 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

That reminds me. I have a WF9F Coldwater Clouser line. It helped throw weighted Clouser Minnows well. To be honest, I do not recall throwing bushy flies with it.

Dennis
Old 04-29-2011, 01:24 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

My favorite Pike fly is the Reynold's Pike fly. It works so well I don't think color makes much if any difference. I tie them on a Mustad 37187 1/0 hook. I like Dahlberg Mega Divers too. I tie them with tails of big fly fiber and rabbit strip also. I tie all of my Pike flies pretty large. I try and make them as tough as possible because Pike are hard on flies. I use 5 minute epoxy instead of head cement. I use heart beads from the craft store to make the heads on the Reynold's Pike fly. The way they are tied plus the bead and epoxy, they are by far the toughest fly. Dahlberg's work pretty well, but not as well as Reynold's pike flies do and they get wrecked faster as well. I still like using them because it's fun to have a big fish smash a fly on the surface.
Here is a step by step on the Reynold's Pike fly;

Tie on a heavy, 30 - 40 lb. mono weed gaurd and epoxy it to the hook.
Click the image to open in full size.
Tie on the tail, magnum rabbit strip. I use magnum strips because they are tougher.
Tie on a clump ( I use the whole feather ) of marabou, and flash. Don't overdo the flash. I think it works better with a smaller amount.
Palmer crosscut rabbit up the hook shank to about 1/4" from the eye. Make sure to cover all of the thread from the previous steps with the leather of the crosscut strip. pull the mono weed gaurd up through the eye and tie it to the shank all the way back to the rabbit. Pull the mono back over the top and tie it down and trim it.
Rough up a spot on the heart bead where the eyes go, mix up a battch of 5 minute epoxy and glue the eyes on and the bead on the head of the fly.
This is about as bullet proof a Pike fly as you can get. I make a bunch of different colors, but have had something happen to one, changed colors and seen no change in how they hit them. I really don't think color matters. On a side note, you may need to find a substitute hook. I have been looking for more of them and it's starting to look like they may have stopped making them in 1/0. You can still get them in 2, 4, and 6, but they are not big enough for this fly.

The Dahlberg Mega divers I generally tie on Mustad C52S BLN 2/0 hooks. I stack deer hair, but you don't need to. I like the way it looks but I don't think it helps you catch fish at all. You can do them as I said before with Rabbit tails.
Or big fly fiber.
There are other flies that work also, like flat wings, EP fiber flies and things like that. I tie a big surf candy like fly with Icelandic sheep that works pretty well. You can tie a bunch of different colors and try them. I tie a lot of different colors.
This is a more colorful Dahlberg with a tail made with Icelandic sheep.
I hope this gives you a start on it. If you have any questions let me know.
Dan
Old 04-29-2011, 01:46 PM

Those are some beautiful flies Dan. You are definitely an artist with the deer hair. Love the "Heart Head" idea.

I have been putting together an Esox Box for the past few weeks. I will post pics for your critique. I'm open to suggestions.

For floating patterns I have been playing around with foam on a "dremel lathe" I set up. Not as cool as deer hair, but I hope somewhat effective. I got a couple of them with "fly lips" on them. They dive and wiggle with a sweet action. (tested them on Monday) It has been fun coming up with different ideas. My wife has been wondering about me lately. Last week I went to the craft/sewing store while she went to KICKBOXING

Our inland pike season opens tomorrow, but wind is forecasted is to be 30+mph

Back to fly lines-

I am between:

-Outbound Short

-SA Pike

-Cortland Little Tunny

-Rio Clouser

Anyone have much experience with the Rio Outbound shorts and pike flies?