The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2011, 01:26 AM

damato1969co is on a distinguished road
Default Rio LT fly lines....

Anyone use Rio LT on any medium to fast action rods. I have it on my 8' 3wt and I like it alot. But its a mid flex rod so not sure what it would do with a fast action rod. Let me know if you have some experience, thanks.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:59 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rio LT fly lines....

I have been fishing the Selective Trout/LT on a TXL since I picked it up a couple of years ago. I did some research and found that many folks recommended pairing the rod with that line. I don't regret the decision, seems to be a very good match. That rod was rated as Medium Fast by Sage. Depending on your stroke preference and rod manufacturer preference, your opinion on Medium Fast may vary. Have also fished the LT on medium action rods and found it to be equally solid.

Which fast action rod are you considering pairing it with? I might be inclined to think Gold may be a better match for a fast action rod, at least from my experiences. Spool it up and throw some line with the fast action and see what you think.

Good luck.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:11 AM

fireroad is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rio LT fly lines....

I have used it's predecessor, the Selective Trout II, on a true medium action rod. It's a great line, and the LT is supposed to be even better. I would venture to say that on a fast action rod it would still be good for close quarters work and roll casting out to 45'...which is where 90% of us do 90% of our fishing. If I was fishing out farther then that or still waters I would go for the RIO Gold.

FWIW, I plan on purchasing the LT DT in 4wt for small streams and the Gold WF in 5wt for medium to large stream and stillwater.

Nice, in-depth review on the Rio LT... Line review: Rio Trout LT | Michael Gracie

and it's predecessor with a comparison to the Gold... A Fly Line for Trout and for Selective Fly Fishers - Rio Freshwater Selective Trout Fly Line - Epinions.com