The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2010, 09:34 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough
Default Sinking Line ???

Can someone please explain to me how to decide what sinking line I need. I going to use it to fish the Potomic River for Shad. I need to get down around 6-8 feet in moving water. Any tips I should know using this line.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:06 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sinking Line ???

It will all be dependent on the current of the water. Slow currents can allow you to use a type 3. Fast currents can allow you to use a type 6.

If you are fishing off of a boat, you may want to fish a full sinking line. You won't have to worry about mending line since you will be hanging line off the back of the boat.

If you are wading, you have your choices. Some people prefer shooting head systems which will allow them to cast for distance and allow them to change heads. Some people prefer sink tips which allow them better line control due to the floating running line and a floating back taper on the head.

The most popular shad lines I sell are the Rio Streamer Tip DC 200 and the Cortland Precision QD 225. Both are sink tip lines. These lines can be cast on 6 and 7 weights well and have sink rates around 5 inches per second.

MP
Old 04-09-2010, 05:55 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

Talked to a few guys that seem to know what I need for my fishing situation. Looks like they recommend a full sink in 250 with an intermediate line. Now I need to try to find some at a reasonable price.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker12 View Post
Talked to a few guys that seem to know what I need for my fishing situation. Looks like they recommend a full sink in 250 with an intermediate line. Now I need to try to find some at a reasonable price.
That sounds like ORVIS Depth Charge.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:48 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

You can always make your own shooting head out of 30 feet of T-8 line (240 grains) and use Amnesia running line. That whole setup won't cost more than $35.

T-8 sinks about 6 to 7 inches per second.

MP
Old 04-10-2010, 06:44 PM

Looked at the Orvis Depth Charge Yesterday. Looks good just don't like the price on that stuff.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:49 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it jumped up in price, but I couldn't live without it....;-)
Old 04-11-2010, 01:39 PM

Tracker,
Here is another line strategy. You and I discussed that you have two rods: 6 and 8 weight.

Buy one 200 foot 25 or 30 pound test spool of Amnesia running line. Put 100 feet on each reel.

For your 8 weight, connect a 300 grain type 6 shooting head to the running line.

For your 6 weight, connect a 225 grain type 3 shooting head to the running line.

This way you have two rigs to figure out the depth at which the Shad are holding.

Cost of a spool of Amnesia: $6.00
Cost of shooting heads: $70.00 (2x$35)
Cost before govt's take: $76.00

MP

Edit: The grain rates and prices of shooting heads reflect on Rio Max II shooting heads. Most shooting heads will cost about the same.

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 04-11-2010 at 01:42 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 04-12-2010, 06:37 AM

MP
Thanks thats a great option and a lot cheaper than buying two sinking lines. It's not really rocket science catching Shad in the Potomac River. Casts do not need to be long. You just need to get the fly down to the right depth. I fished yerterday with the spinning rod out of my Kayak. I was slamming them and kept getting guys crowd around me thinkinig I had the hole. I kept trying to explain it was in the presentation but with little success. Had one guy in a bass boat about to push me out of the way trying to get his line to swing into the same area. I just moved and still caught fish. Most guys were using mono and not getting down to the fish. I use light braid with a momo leader. Get it to the bottom and barely reel in the line. I probably had 90+ fish day yesterday in 3 hours of fishing. Mostly Hickories but I did manage 6 Americans. Hope to hit it again tomorrow with the fly Rod.

Last edited by Tracker12; 04-12-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:03 PM

Good job, Tracker! It is just a matter of getting your fly down to where the shad are hanging. There have been rumors of the early pods of American Shad showing up in the Lower American River, Sacramento County, California. I am going to scout an early season hole tomorrow.

MP