The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 10:16 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Default line wt vs Strength?

Hi, I am sure this has been talked about, I am having trouble deciding if I need a 5wt or higher.. I dont have a fly set up at this point so I have nothing to compare too. Would it be over kill to get a heavy weight line for small creeks so when I do fish for bass and larger fish on still water I can? I guess the real question is for me coming from a spin fishing backround I am used to lbs test rating for lines. and trying to compare. Though I think this rating might have more to do with the leader rating? I am also thinking for what will give me more distance on still water.. hope this makes sense. Thanks.
Mike
Old 05-03-2011, 11:14 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: line wt vs Strength?

Hi Mike,

Distance (in most cases) is a product of casting skills rather than the rod / line weight. I have owned 4 weight rods that I could cast the entire 88' fly line with while being able to do the same with a 7 weight that was one foot 3" longer. For a wide range of general fly fishing a six weight rod in 9' length will serve many tasks.

When you say small streams this same 9' 6 weight could be a little much if small is to be taken literally. Now if small equals 10 - 15' wide mountain brooks in KY. then the 9' will be tough to handle. If you are planning on both the mountain brooks and the large still waters for bass then you may need two rods and 2 weights in order to serve both environments.

before getting in too deep you should look for any fly shops within a reasonable commute and see if they offer casting lessons or can recommend someone who does.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-03-2011, 11:31 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks. I am aware that some point 2 + rigs might be needed to cover the waterways here, Part of what has me interested in fly fishing is the ablity to haved more fun catching small fish that otherwise wouldnt touch a big lure, thus putting me into small creeks at times. the reopening fishery near me is at a park I worked for over 5 years, the creek I have been down hunderds of times by kayak. as far as the size of this creek,, i would put it in the 25+ ft to 10 to 5 ft wide in places. I also take kayak trips on Green river which is much bigger, and has been known for large enough fish to require big rigs.. that is way down the road. as of now I am leaning toward a 8.6ft 5-6wt set up. i light 3wt would be fun at times but for me would limit my uses till I can justify getting more then one rig. I guess the better question is about the lbs rating of tapered leaders for this wt range?
Old 05-04-2011, 01:40 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I would start off with a heavier outfit like a five or six weight. It will be more general purpose than the three weight. You will definitely have more versatility.

Just last Sunday, my girlfriend and I fished a Sierra stream that we normally fish with three weights. Due to the high flows, we used our five weights with sink tip lines and heavy flies. We would not had been able to catch fish with the lighter gear because we would not had been able to present flies to them in those conditions.

As for leader selection, your choice will have to deal more with tippet diameter size than the break strength rating. Smaller size flies need smaller diameter tippets. Larger flies need larger diameter tippets. On my five weight I use as heavy as 2x and as light as 6x. On my three weight I use as heavy as 4x and as light as 7x.

Dennis
Old 05-04-2011, 01:41 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

The size of the leader depends on a few factors. The size of the fly is one of them, a big fly / hook like a # 4 or 6 requires a heavier tippet just to have a secure knot. Conversely a really tiny hook like a size 16, 18, or 20 will need a tippet that matches such little flies. Another thing that contributes to the choice of fly size and leader thickness is the fish themselves, if they are wild and not well conditioned to seeing fake flies attached to leaders you can get away with heavier lines on smaller flies. If the fish are well trained then flies that closely resemble the naturals in size & color may be needed and finer leaders to attach to them will be needed.

The best way to become familiar with all the aspects of line to fly relationships is by research and reading. Since you have the Internet at your access start by searching for information using the buzz words in phrases like what size leader for a size 16 dry fly. I have not used that but I'll bet you get some good results. I tell you this because there are many people who have written on this topic at length and it would be a wast for me to attempt to do so. Most of what I know about leaders I learned by trial and error but I know there's a lot of info out there. Feel free to let me know how you make out on this.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-04-2011, 07:29 AM

thanks again for the advice. I will run more searches.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:28 PM

photo test did not work..