The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2010, 02:37 AM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice
Default Re: Cracked Fly Line

When the WF5F welded loop broke after only 4 days I assumed it was a product defect, and Rio would want to see it; so I went directly to the manufacturer, and when the WF4F hinged behind the welded loop portion...since I was sending one in I simply sent both in at the same time.

So, when the replacement WF5F hinged after a very short period of time I returned it to the shop where I bought it. After explaining the issue, they offered to send it back to Rio and re-spooled a new Gold line on my 5wt. Thus I do not know when the lines were manufactured - It is possible that the 2nd replacement WF5F could have actually been manufactured earlier than the 1st replacement WF5F that I got directly from Rio - who knows?

As ddombos2 notes, the current line break in my WF5F is also completely through the pvc down to the core, all the way around the line. When that happens the line sucks water like crazy and then it is more of a WF5F-S (that stands for a WF5 Float&Sink).

As I mentioned earlier, there have been comments in other forums and on Cabelas that there have been issues with the outer layers of the Gold line being too soft and not holding up very well. Like I said, I will just cut off a couple of feet of the line, use it a couple more years, and then change to a different line (possibly a Rio brand, but definitely NOT a Gold!).
Old 04-29-2010, 12:03 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

The problem we have been discussing may not be a quality issue, but rather an inappropriate application of fly line to fly rod. I had a discussion with a very experienced fly shop owner, and his comment was that the Rio Gold is a quality line, but the outer covering is extremely soft. His take is that it works great for fine presentation with drys on a medium or slower rod, but should be avoided on any rod faster than medium, including even a medium-fast rod, and especially on a fast rod.

Based on his experience the Rio Gold fly line is so soft that at the faster speeds generated by anything above a medium flex rod, the leader or even the tippet can literally cut right through the pvc portion of the Rio Gold line. Same thing applies to breaking the line right behind the welded lopo and having the hinging effect like both ddombos and I have experienced. When fished on a faster rod, the weight of the welded portion of the Gold line is too much for the soft outer covering to hold up, thus it tends to break quickly.

He even pulled out a Rio Gold line that he had replaced and showed that he can easily mark/cut the Gold line with the pressure of a fingernail pressing the line against the palm of his hand. So, ddombos2 - you may get the same result with the new Gold line after you get your replacement. You might want to consider selling the new replacement and buying a different line for your rod.

I will (as planned) cut off the damaged portion of my Rio Gold Line, get another year of use out of it, and then replace it with something that is better matched with my medium-fast rods.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:46 AM

hopperfishing is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem with the Rio Gold loop, but after a few months of fishing the loop cracked as you described. I just cut the loop off, tied a 5-6 turn nail knot, and went back to fishing. It's amazing how much slimmer a nail knot is compared to a loop to loop system. When I tie on a new leader, I leave about 12" of butt from the old leader and knot the butt section and new leader together with a 3-turn blood knot. Very clean and very easy.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:25 PM

grousehunter49 is on a distinguished road

I have never used a line with a loop, I use a leader link by eagle Claw , another one is called cast conector, a little nylon thing you push the flyline up the end and out the hole in the side, ty a knot ,snip, push back in hole, same thing for leader, I have broken tippets, strightened hooks, but never pulled the leader through the end.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:36 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by grousehunter49 View Post
I have never used a line with a loop, I use a leader link by eagle Claw , another one is called cast conector, a little nylon thing you push the flyline up the end and out the hole in the side, ty a knot ,snip, push back in hole, same thing for leader, I have broken tippets, strightened hooks, but never pulled the leader through the end.
Curious, is this the Scientific Anglers L2L Reconnect Leader? If not, can you say what it is and who makes it, because I'm getting the impression that Scientific Anglers is discontinuing its L2L Reconnect Leaders, and as I like them very much, would be looking for an equivalent.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:44 AM

grousehunter49 is on a distinguished road

Flytofish-I use leader link, made by Eagle Claw, but I can,t find them any more, have found this one allmost the same thing.Anglers Image Cast connectors. Welcome to Wapsi Fly, Inc.. These are smaller and better.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:12 PM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

UPDATE:
My replacement Rio Gold WF-4 is holding up well. The same cannot be said for my Rio Grand WF-7 or my Gold WF-5. The Gold WF-5 made it through an entire season of fishing while the Grand WF-7 made it about 2 outings and a casting session in the back yard yesterday.

The 5wt is a Z-Axis and the 7wt is a Flight. Makes me think a lot about what Brewmaster said with the rod action causing some of the stresses in the softer line coatings. I'm sending in the 7wt and Iam going to cut and loop the 5wt using the methods described above.

I'm a little frustrated because this year was my first upgrade from my original purchases with SA, Orvis and Cortland lines.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:49 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Welded loops: I've noticed that the quality of welded loops can vary wildly among individual lines. I always open a box before buying line, and did just that a couple weeks ago. The loop on the first line was thick and bulky, and there was a clear hinge where the loop met the rest of the line. The next box
had a fairly nice taper from loop weld to line, but they all varied. One out of 5 of the loops seemed acceptable to me, and the rest looked like they would last long. I've had loops crack where the weld ends, and I've made my own tapered loop to replace the old one. None of the loops I've made has cracked, and I fish them a lot.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:54 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

I had Rio Gold....bad bad line
Old 11-09-2010, 11:55 AM

I have one more experience to add to the thread - 2 weeks ago I was fishing a medium-fast 4wt rod using a Rio Grand line and I broke off the front 4ft, losing the furled leader, tippet & fly. Granted I had a pretty good sized fish hit the line, but to actually break the fly line? - not exactly a normal occurance! Note: I had more than 30 days of heavy fishing on that 4wt, but I have used non-Rio lines for much longer than that in the past.

All the prior problems I had with the Rio lines were with Rio Gold lines, and that was the same Rio line most of the other complaints I had seen were about - Rio Gold. However, ddombos2 has now stated that he has been having issues with both Rio Gold AND Rio Grand. Now I have had a similar line breakage issue with the Rio Grand.

I Like the 1/2 heavy lines for medium-fast and fast rods as it helps load the rod when the casting distance is short, but not at the expense of repeatedly buying new lines due to premature line failure. I have been using a SA Mastery GPX line (also 1/2 line weight heavy) on a 6wt med-fast rod for over 2 years, and have not had a single issue with the fly line cracking, hinging or breaking.

I now have had 5 Rio fly lines (2 different lines - 4 Gold & 1 Grand; 2 different weights - 2 5wt, 3 4wt) break with either little or moderate usage on med-fast and fast fly rods. Is it possible that Rio is having some basic problems with their manufacturing processes or the quality of the materials used to make the outer pvc portion of the fly line? When Rio was purchased by Far Banks (owners of Sage and Reddington) about 5 years ago, did they change the processes or materials being used?

I think I will try one of the SA GPX lines on the same 4wt and see how long it lasts!