The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2010, 08:03 PM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2
Default Cracked Fly Line

About 6 weeks ago I purchased a spool of Rio Gold WF4 fly line. I finally got out on the water with my 4wt and after about 45 minutes I noticed my casts behaving oddly. I suddenly was throwing horrible taling loops and it seemed like there was a kink in the line near my leader connection. When I reeled up I found a full circumferential crack through the PVC coating of the line.

Click the image to open in full size.

I called Rio and they were super to deal with. I have a new line on the way right now. I will be sending this one in for them to look at for quality control. Just thought I would post this and let you know. I love the way the line handles and I have been nothing but impressed with the customer service at Rio for the way they have handled my needs.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:16 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cracked Fly Line

Sounds like RIO is treating you well, but that sure is a wierd issue. I have used RIO lines for years and always like the way they handle.

Larry
Old 04-17-2010, 10:21 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a few Rio lines and have never had a it of trouble. I like mine.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:39 PM
Business Member

allenflyfishing is a glorious beacon of lightallenflyfishing is a glorious beacon of lightallenflyfishing is a glorious beacon of lightallenflyfishing is a glorious beacon of lightallenflyfishing is a glorious beacon of light

Rio does have good lines. PVC is a type of thermoplastic. PVC is a great material for this type of use. However, it does wear out. I'm sure it was just a bad production run without a UV additive in the material. Things happen...
Old 04-18-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenflyfishing View Post
Rio does have good lines. PVC is a type of thermoplastic. PVC is a great material for this type of use. However, it does wear out. I'm sure it was just a bad production run without a UV additive in the material. Things happen...
I don't think the first 45 minutes would be sufficient to wear anything out...

If I were looking at the material, I might target the plasticizer additive(s). I don't know, but I would put my money on it having to do with the loop welding process on my particular line. I am thinking that a localized flaw like this, located directly adjacent to the welded loop has a good chance of being a manufacturing process issue.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:11 AM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

Without making any public announcements, Rio has been having this problem with the Rio Gold fly lines cracking and breaking at the loop and in the body of the line. I have had two Rio Gold lines (WF4F & WF5F) break at both the loop and in the body - Rio was also very nice to me and agreed to replace the lines immediately (although I did have to wait about 4 weeks on the WF4F due to ongoing manufacturing problems). The last time I sent the line in to be replaced, the customer service rep admitted that they had been having some problems during the initial manufacturing runs of the Gold line, but that they believed that they had resolved those issues.

However, the replacement lines don't seem to be any better; after fishing for a couple of weeks this spring I noticed that the WF5F line already has the same break (again) about 2 ft up from the loop. I have already had this Rio Gold WF5F line replaced twice by Rio, the first time when the loop broke (on the 4th day I used it) and the 2nd time when the line broke just about where ddombos2 reported - right where the end of the double-line portion of the welded loop ends.

I have used other Rio lines in the past (Rio Grand) and have never had any fly line (SA, Cortland or Orvis) cut or break as easily as the Rio Gold. I have seen several reports in other forums where folks have reported that the outer surface of the Rio Gold is simply too soft and will not hold up to even a minimal amount of usage.

I believe I will (again) just cut off the line at the break and re-nail my leader butt (Amnesia line) and continue fishing it. I am not going to ask Rio to replace it for a 3rd time - seems to be a lost cause. After I get a couple more years out of the line I will replace it with an SA line or something else that does not have the ongoing quality issues that the Rio Gold line has been having. I like Rio products, but their Rio Gold fly line is just a poor product!

BTW - all my use of the Rio Gold fly lines have been on medium fast rods, fishing spring streams for small to average trout, with a combination of nymphing and dry flies. These lines were not abused in any way. They just seem to lack basic good quality.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmaster View Post
Without making any public announcements, Rio has been having this problem with the Rio Gold fly lines cracking and breaking at the loop and in the body of the line. I have had two Rio Gold lines (WF4F & WF5F) break at both the loop and in the body - Rio was also very nice to me and agreed to replace the lines immediately (although I did have to wait about 4 weeks on the WF4F due to ongoing manufacturing problems). The last time I sent the line in to be replaced, the customer service rep admitted that they had been having some problems during the initial manufacturing runs of the Gold line, but that they believed that they had resolved those issues.

However, the replacement lines don't seem to be any better; after fishing for a couple of weeks this spring I noticed that the WF5F line already has the same break (again) about 2 ft up from the loop. I have already had this Rio Gold WF5F line replaced twice by Rio, the first time when the loop broke (on the 4th day I used it) and the 2nd time when the line broke just about where ddombos2 reported - right where the end of the double-line portion of the welded loop ends.

I have used other Rio lines in the past (Rio Grand) and have never had any fly line (SA, Cortland or Orvis) cut or break as easily as the Rio Gold. I have seen several reports in other forums where folks have reported that the outer surface of the Rio Gold is simply too soft and will not hold up to even a minimal amount of usage.

I believe I will (again) just cut off the line at the break and re-nail my leader butt (Amnesia line) and continue fishing it. I am not going to ask Rio to replace it for a 3rd time - seems to be a lost cause. After I get a couple more years out of the line I will replace it with an SA line or something else that does not have the ongoing quality issues that the Rio Gold line has been having. I like Rio products, but their Rio Gold fly line is just a poor product!

BTW - all my use of the Rio Gold fly lines have been on medium fast rods, fishing spring streams for small to average trout, with a combination of nymphing and dry flies. These lines were not abused in any way. They just seem to lack basic good quality.
When were your Gold lines made? This was a 2010 WF4F with the rear welded loop. I've also got a 2010 Grand WF7F and a 2009 Gold WF5F. I hope these are not subject to the issue.

Incidentally, I've heard about SA lines having issues with the front loops breaking after some use, necessitating the loop to be cut off and the nail knot connection.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:58 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I have found that every line I have ever owned with an epoxied braided loop on the front eventually became hinged at the point where the braided loop material ends. I also found that on lines 4wt and under the braided loop on the end of the front taper seemed too big & heavy for the light lines. I switched all lines to a nail knot butt years ago. If you use them enough your line will hinge at the nail knot sooner or later too.

As far as a line that becomes surface checked with age; I still have the first SA 5wt in gray finish that I ever bought, it is checked from end to end and I use it for streamer fishing. The checked surface does not affect the performance of the line in casting and I just hit it with a little Mucillin now and then for better mending. Don't toss those old lines out, you can dye them and use them for wet fly fishing. Yes, I said dye them..........
Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-22-2010, 10:52 AM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

ddombos2 - re: the Rio Gold lfly lines I have had issues with; I have no idea when those lines were manufactured. Where would I find that information? Some code on the box or spool? I bought them both in 2008, had them both replaced in mid-late 2008, and had the WF5F replaced a 2nd time in mid 2009.

Ard - Regarding the use of a epoxied braided loop becomng hinged....I have only used a couple of braided loops and have not experienced that issue. When a line with the epoxied braided loop becomes hinged, does it then start to sink due to absorbing water? One of the biggest issues with the hinging of the Rio lines right behind the welded loop section is that it immediately starts absorbing water and sinks. The extra weight of the water also makes your casting loops get really ugly!

Regarding the welded front loops breaking that both ddombos2 mentioned, I too have found that eventually all welded loops eventually wear out, regardless of brand. However, certainly not after being used for only 4 days! I eventually replace all welded loops with a leader butt made out of Amnesia line, nail knotted to the fly line and then with a Perfection Loop on the other end to engage the loop on the leader.

The break that I just found on my WF5F that is a couple of feet up the fly line is not just "checked" (e.g. the outer surface cracked) it is actually broken clear through the entire plastic portion of the fly line down to the inner core, which then also absorbs water and sinks. I would have to check my notes, but I have been using this 2nd replaced fly line since late last summer (or early last fall) so it has a bit more time on it, but again, certainly not enough to be cracking and breaking as it has done.

Last edited by Brewmaster; 04-22-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
ddombos2 - re: the Rio Gold lfly lines I have had issues with; I have no idea when those lines were manufactured. Where would I find that information? Some code on the box or spool? I bought them both in 2008, had them both replaced in mid-late 2008, and had the WF5F replaced a 2nd time in mid 2009.
I was just curious on whether this is an ongoing thing or whether it is isolated to a certain time in their production run.

Quote:
...the fly line is not just "checked" (e.g. the outer surface cracked) it is actually broken clear through the entire plastic portion of the fly line down to the inner core, which then also absorbs water and sinks.
My picture doesnt show it well, but mine is fully throught the pvc to the core, all the way around.