The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2010, 05:26 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: AFTMA line weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
And that in a nut shell is why you can't trust the manufacturers. This goes for rods as well as lines. The common cents system that was in rod maker magazine has virtually free methods to check both your rods and your lines. I have tested all of my rods and most of my lines. It is way more important to check lines with spey rods than single hand rods. Spey rods all have a pretty narrow grain window, where you can pretty much cast any line on a single hand rod. Most of the common cents system article if not all of them can be found on line.
Your post was the first time I've read about the common cents system. After a little investigating into it, I ended up testing my own rods and was able to confirm some suspicions that I had. The most note-able, is that I had an 8wt labeled rod that never quite felt right to me. After testing, I found that it actually measured out as a 6wt (Thats quite a bit of a difference). I then went out in the back yard with some 6wt line, and performed some lawn casting. The rod actually finally felt right. I'll now have to give this new combo a 2'nd chance out on the water.

I think the common cents system is a useful tool. If nothing else, it can help people like me from trying to cast a 8wt rod that really measures out as a 6, while also trying to cast a "labled" 8wt line that measures out as a 9.

I understand that not everyone is going to agree with the suggested measurement results, but I think its nice to find a measurable baseline. Especially in situations like in my case, where these measurements were able to confirm some suspicions of factory listed weights.

A few of my rods measured spot on, some were significantly off. The rods that ended up measuring spot on, were also the ones that cost me more.