The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2010, 10:45 PM

ctious is on a distinguished road
Default sharkskin magnum line

Well after digging around i got my hands on two lines.. One 10wt magnum and a 7wt magnum.. As i spooled up the line i noticed how hard the line was but it is also very flexible... Plus for durability..
First up was the 10wt... As i stripped the line out the sound was nice... It reminds me of a big fish screaming into your backing.. first few false casts were a shock... The line wanted to take off... So i let it... With very little effort( like none really) no double haul i punched a 8in muskie streamer well past the 80 foot mark... Surprised, i stripped out the rest of the line figured i have never been able to cast a full line with any super large fly so lets see if this line will do it... With a double haul i shot the whole line out, fly and all... WOW... This line is amazing... As for reports of it cutting into fingers when stripping or when a big fish hits, I did a test... Now i work on cars for a living so my fingers are on the tougher side.. I tied the line off to a tree locked the line in my finger and pulled.. Nothing... Felt fine.. No heat.... Decided to make a little run.. Even running backwards there was no damage to my finger. While running it did build some heat but no more than a regular line..

The 7 wt on the rod was just as nice... Was able to cast large flies almost as well... Much better than the other lines i have been using..

So for anyone wondering about this line, stop thinking and get some... Sure its $100 but its worth it... I will post another review after a few trips out and let you all know how it is holding up...

P.S. if anyone at SA wants me to test out other lines I will be around.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:01 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice
Default Re: sharkskin magnum line

You sound like a rep!!!

I wish they would make the magnum down at a 4 and 5 wt. The belly would work great for roll casting and trout.

I gave in a previous post a hard time for those saying it cut fingers. I called them "Girrlllyymen" (Hanz and Franz SNL)

Anyway I was a "Girrllyyman" after my hands were wet for 3 hours of stripping a wollybugger. They did get cut. Now the way to solve that is fish more and get your hands tougher. or wear a stripping glove.

A agree totally with you and wish I would have spent my money on the GPX instead of the trout taper.

A friend of my actually recommends the "Shooting line". He believes it is far better for fishing than the Magnum.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:07 PM

i am no rep.... but i would not mind getting some free lines...lol...

yeah i am new to this site... been on a few others for years but just found this one..lol

in the shooting line is he talking the shooting head????
Old 05-06-2010, 11:15 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

I wish I was a rep. also..

I still can't justify a new purchase until I feel I have worn my line down. It is said it will last 3x longer. I am year 2. We will see.

I do believe it freezes quicker than the others. But fishing in below 32 isn't as fun as it used to be unless the Oozo is a plenty.

Here is cabela's link
Cabela's -- Scientific Anglers™ Sharkskin™ Shooting Line
Old 05-06-2010, 11:28 PM

hmm... might have to try that.... yeah when its gets that cold fly fishing is no fun....

well at the rate i wear out a line this stuff is going to take me close to 10 years...lol..

even cheaper lines i have i dress them after each use and make sure in the winter they are loose on the spool.. i get 3 to 4 years out of them...