Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2010, 02:15 PM

cwg is on a distinguished road
Default You Tube vid on furled leaders

it cant be this easy...can it?

Old 05-14-2010, 04:47 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You Tube vid on furled leaders

Yes, it can. I've been twisting this type of leader now for the past five years. They are very durable and turn over flies like a dream. The 'furlers' will say that it is not true 'furling' as the material is twisted manually on itself rather than twisting the material and allowing the twist to then furl the material through the use of a jig and such, but the end result is almost the same. Most furlers use material such as fly tying thread to build their compound leaders and butt sectiuons, while this method uses mono, either nylon or flourocarbon. I have tried many different furled leaders and keep coming back to this twisted leader that I can build fairly quickly, even streamside if needed. I can twist up various lengths from a four-foot for Silver Salmon in Alaska to a 14-foot for spooky Brown Trout in my favorite spring creek. I use them, my family uses them and many of my friends use them. I like them better than tapered or compound tapered leaders and, until something else better comes along, I'll probably use these for the remainder of my flyfishing years - I'm that sold on them.

On the other hand, Joni furls up some real winners, that, if these weren't so easy to make myself, I would constantly be bugging her for more - they are that good.

It's an easy choice for me because of the simplicity and durability. I use 2x For most applications, and I've jumped to 0x for my salmon leaders.

There you have it, it is that simple.

Kelly.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:22 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

that's my friend Gary
Old 05-14-2010, 05:23 PM

well..dang. I just spent enough on a couple to have bought a spool big enough to do a dozen..
flourocarbon it is, going to make at least one just to say I did it.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:37 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

There is a bit of a learning curve. Make sure you keep the tag ends away from each other and pause every now and then to keep them untwisted. One of the things that works for me is to stand at the end of the kitchen counter and run the tag ends through the handles of coffee mugs and over opposite sides of the counter top, a table could accomplish the same thing, that way you will avoid most of the problems associated with this method, but you will love the results. I do one thing differently than they do in the video. Once they finish the twisting of the first to lengths together, I tie an overhand knot in the end to keep the tag ends together. I then divide the entire first twisted section into thirds and fold the knotted tag ends to the second third point and then begin the second twisting back at the folded end just like I did the first twist. Once I get the two twisted pieces twisted together I tie a double surgeons at the point where they meet and trim the old knot off. Done. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Kelly.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:48 AM

HA! Made one using 'cajun line 6# test I had laying around, like it, lays out, little memory, and red- the first color that disappears to fish- incredible, first one (other than the 2-3 foot "testers") came out flawless, dang...

so, for the end(s) loops, nothing, no knot? Just the twisted end? Amazingly simply
Old 05-23-2010, 07:31 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I prefer my jig since I get 3 step downs instead of 2.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 05-23-2010, 07:40 AM

curiosity got me to google a jig
Peninsula Fly Fishers – Furled Leaders

Like a monkey looking at a rubix cube, way beyond my abilities, LOL.

First image started out looking easy enough however
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:25 PM

boreal is on a distinguished road

Good stuff.
I twisted a few from 4,6 and 8lb Stren original I have laying around.

Aint use em yet but I aint buying tapered again!
"I knew a tier once. One time he was holding a lump of cat hair he found on his couch, sort of twirling it about his fingers, tugging at it. I asked, what in the hell are you doing man? He looked startled, ashamed. But I knew what he was thinking. right then and there I decided to just buy my fly's thankyouverymuch." ~ cwg
Old 05-23-2010, 07:42 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Got to agree with sandfly. I have "Twisted" some and they are allot stiffer than the furled ones. One reason is the material that is required.

Furled leaders are way more supple.

Plus, not just a 3 way step down, it is actually a 5 if you look at that diagram.

Say you do a 7 /5 /3, with the pegs off set, you have a 14-12-10-8-6
Very nice for longer leaders.
You cannot achieve that with a twisted leader.
But like Winston or TFO...they will both catch fish, but they do it totally different.

I have to add, the twisted leader does want to stay looped up (curl). Again, the material. Can't twist with thread.