The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Lines (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/)
-   -   9 WT Line (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/13776-9-wt-line.html)

arkman 05-17-2010 09:52 AM

9 WT Line

I'm looking for a decent line for a my new 9 wt. I'm looking for a line to throw bigger flies and deal with wind. I'm planning on doing some more northern/musky fishing. I need some suggestions on a line that wont break the bank. Any suggestions?

BigCliff 05-17-2010 11:14 AM

Re: 9 WT Line

My first choice would be SA's magnum sharkskin, but it is pricey. If you're looking to stay under $50, I'd go with this one- Fly Lines, Fly Leaders, and Fly Fishing Accessories - Rio Bass Pike Panfish

MoscaPescador 05-17-2010 11:24 AM

Cost is not an issue: Rio Outbound Short WF9F. $74.95

Cost as an issue: Rio Mainstream Bass Pike Panfish WF10F. $39.95 (I think)

Without a doubt, the Rio Outbound Short is the best big fly fly line on the market. It will load up a rod a lot more than the standard floating fly lines since it is uplined by two sizes. The WF9F is basically a WF11F. It was developed to throw the largest, nastiest, wind resistant flies available.

The Rio Mainstream Bass Pike Bluegill line is a good low cost alternative. It uses the Rio Clouser taper, but it lacks the higher dollar coatings. The line is uplined by one. A WF9F is a WF10F. For most casters using a 9 weight rod, a WF10F line is recommended to throw the biggest and the nastiest of wind resistant flies. That way you can get the load of a WF10F line.

If you can swing it, the Rio Outbound Short is the ticket. This is the line that Northern California Black Bass and Striped Bass fishermen are using to throw their nasty bass bugs.

If you can't swing it, the Rio Mainstream Bass Pike Bluegill line is a good alternative. The Clouser line taper was the taper to have before the Outbound Short came along.

MP

arkman 05-17-2010 02:08 PM

Ok, I went with the Rio Mainstream. It was hard because I've heard a lot of really good things about the outbound but it was almost 2x as much. :mad:

Thanks guys!

domel 10-23-2012 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arkman (Post 91824)
Ok, I went with the Rio Mainstream. It was hard because I've heard a lot of really good things about the outbound but it was almost 2x as much. :mad:

Thanks guys!

Hi
Did you buy this line? Say something please. I look for pike line and I do not want to spend a lot of money.
BR
Tom

arkman 10-23-2012 03:03 AM

I did get that line and I gave been very happy with it. I also have the scientific angler pike line and like it a lot.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

domel 10-23-2012 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arkman (Post 493096)
I did get that line and I gave been very happy with it. I also have the scientific angler pike line and like it a lot.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks.
Did you get #9 or #10 line? I need line for Sage Xi3 #9 and I wonder if I should take #9 or #10.
BR
Tom

Rip Tide 10-23-2012 10:44 AM

Not a Sage rod or a Rio line, but the 8wt rod in this picture is loaded with an 11wt line.
big line + big fly = big fish ;)

http://www.hikingnewengland.com/uplo...y_4_26_610.jpg

stl_geoff 10-23-2012 11:21 AM

I have some Outbound Short and man, that is some serious fly moving line. It hucks some huge flies on a 6/7wt that I probably shouldnt be able to cast with that size rod but it just powers thru the wind and floating half chickens.

kwb 10-25-2012 11:58 AM

The vast majority of die hard Musky anglers I know "some of which guide in your neck of the woods", all throw the Cortland Little Tunny line...

I don't know many guys who prefer floating lines for Pike/Musky fishing...