The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2010, 09:52 AM

arkman is on a distinguished road
Default 9 WT Line

I'm looking for a decent line for a my new 9 wt. I'm looking for a line to throw bigger flies and deal with wind. I'm planning on doing some more northern/musky fishing. I need some suggestions on a line that wont break the bank. Any suggestions?
Old 05-17-2010, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: 9 WT Line

My first choice would be SA's magnum sharkskin, but it is pricey. If you're looking to stay under $50, I'd go with this one- Fly Lines, Fly Leaders, and Fly Fishing Accessories - Rio Bass Pike Panfish

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:24 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Cost is not an issue: Rio Outbound Short WF9F. $74.95

Cost as an issue: Rio Mainstream Bass Pike Panfish WF10F. $39.95 (I think)

Without a doubt, the Rio Outbound Short is the best big fly fly line on the market. It will load up a rod a lot more than the standard floating fly lines since it is uplined by two sizes. The WF9F is basically a WF11F. It was developed to throw the largest, nastiest, wind resistant flies available.

The Rio Mainstream Bass Pike Bluegill line is a good low cost alternative. It uses the Rio Clouser taper, but it lacks the higher dollar coatings. The line is uplined by one. A WF9F is a WF10F. For most casters using a 9 weight rod, a WF10F line is recommended to throw the biggest and the nastiest of wind resistant flies. That way you can get the load of a WF10F line.

If you can swing it, the Rio Outbound Short is the ticket. This is the line that Northern California Black Bass and Striped Bass fishermen are using to throw their nasty bass bugs.

If you can't swing it, the Rio Mainstream Bass Pike Bluegill line is a good alternative. The Clouser line taper was the taper to have before the Outbound Short came along.

MP

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 10-23-2012 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Major Typo
Old 05-17-2010, 02:08 PM

Ok, I went with the Rio Mainstream. It was hard because I've heard a lot of really good things about the outbound but it was almost 2x as much.

Thanks guys!
Old 10-23-2012, 01:56 AM

domel has a spectacular aura aboutdomel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkman View Post
Ok, I went with the Rio Mainstream. It was hard because I've heard a lot of really good things about the outbound but it was almost 2x as much.

Thanks guys!
Hi
Did you buy this line? Say something please. I look for pike line and I do not want to spend a lot of money.
BR
Tom
Old 10-23-2012, 03:03 AM

I did get that line and I gave been very happy with it. I also have the scientific angler pike line and like it a lot.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-23-2012, 06:09 AM

domel has a spectacular aura aboutdomel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkman View Post
I did get that line and I gave been very happy with it. I also have the scientific angler pike line and like it a lot.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2
Thanks.
Did you get #9 or #10 line? I need line for Sage Xi3 #9 and I wonder if I should take #9 or #10.
BR
Tom
Old 10-23-2012, 10:44 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Not a Sage rod or a Rio line, but the 8wt rod in this picture is loaded with an 11wt line.
big line + big fly = big fish

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:21 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I have some Outbound Short and man, that is some serious fly moving line. It hucks some huge flies on a 6/7wt that I probably shouldnt be able to cast with that size rod but it just powers thru the wind and floating half chickens.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 10-25-2012, 11:58 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

The vast majority of die hard Musky anglers I know "some of which guide in your neck of the woods", all throw the Cortland Little Tunny line...

I don't know many guys who prefer floating lines for Pike/Musky fishing...