The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Lines (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/)
-   -   Beginner needing help on fly line choice (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/13864-beginner-needing-help-fly-line-choice.html)

yareelohim 05-24-2010 05:20 PM

Beginner needing help on fly line choice

My fiance and I have decided to take up fly fishing as a weekend hobby.

So far we have purchased the Martin Mountain Brook fly combo ( Martin Fly Fishing | Fly Reels | Fly Rods | Fly Kits )

We have the 9ft rods in the 5/6 WT.

We will be fishing for trout around Northern California rivers/streams and float tubing small lakes.

What would be a good line for us to both start out on? I hear line is one of the most important investments.

We don't want to spend too much as we are just getting started but donn't want horrible line either.

I have looked at RIO Gold, RIO Mainstream, SA Mastery GPX, Sage Performance II, Cabelas Prestige Plus, SA Lefty Kren, SA Utlra 4, etc.

What would you all suggest as really decent fly line for beginners, that isn't too expensive? Also, should we get 6wt instead of 5wt, and WF or DT?

Thank you for your help!

- Jonathan

MoscaPescador 05-24-2010 05:34 PM

Re: Beginner needing help on fly line choice

WF6F Rio Grand or SA Mastery GPX - premium lines
WF6F Rio Mainstream - price point line

Almost every line that I sell is a premium line because a quality line will make a difference in one's fishing experience. These lines have better coatings that make the stay slick for improved distance, that make them float higher, and that make last longer.

If you must have a price point line, get the Rio Mainstream line.

MP

ant 05-24-2010 06:47 PM

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I started with the exact same setup, and I still have the line it came with on. It's an ok line; not horrible but not great.

I would recommend waiting a bit before upgrading to another line. If your just learning to cast and your like me, you'll snag more than your share of trees, rocks and telephone lines (don't ask. :p)

Once you can cast pretty decent, then I would look to upgrade. If at that time you still want to stay in the cheap, I would suggest picking up a Cabela's brand WF line. I think they're around $30 so it's not a steep investment and their line is a step up from the Martin.

Oh, and also good luck on keeping this a "weekend hobby." It's more of an "every day of the week" hobby for me!

Ant

raindogt 05-24-2010 07:03 PM

SNIP
Quote:

Originally Posted by yareelohim (Post 92532)
My fiance and I have decided to take up fly fishing as a weekend hobby.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!

Yeah..... weekend hobby...... keep tellin' yourself that, buddy.....:D

All kidding aside, Good advise given so far.

I am more in Ant's camp-- just fish the line that is on there for the time being. As you fine tune your stroke, you can upgrade lines. You will lower the risk of damaging a nice new line, and you'll appreciate the difference once your cast is dialed in.

As a side note, I've never spent more than 30 or so on a line. (I'm a cheap-o, of course my wife has other words for it....)

EDIT/// I meant to welcome you to the forum-- enjoy your stay--- Tons of good info here-- just ask what you are wondering-- everyone is able and willing to help. We also expect pics and reports of your successes. ;)

Rip Tide 05-25-2010 08:58 AM

Try a Hook&Hackle High Floater in a 5wt, weight forward
25 bucks on sale

Hook & Hackle Fly Line

yareelohim 05-25-2010 09:37 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I am leaning toward SA GPX, or Rio Mainstream.

How does the Hook and Hackle line compare to the SA GPX and Rio Mainstream? Is there any comparison at all?

I could get rio and h&h line for both myself and my fiancÚ for the price of 1 SA GPX. Please let me know how you all think those 3 compare.

Thanks!
- Jonathan

Jackster 05-25-2010 10:19 AM

You might also look at Scientific Anglers Headstart lines.
They have the AST finish of the premium lines and have a couple of things built right in to help new fly casters like a bump that tells when the rod should be loaded for optimum casts and a weight that is a bit heavier to assist in feeling the rod load.
Here's a link:
Mastery Series Headstart(TM) - Fly Lines - Lines

Rip Tide 05-25-2010 12:48 PM

The Hook & Hackle line is made by Cortland and is suppose to be the equivalent of the Cortland 444 with a longer front taper

kglissmeyer1 05-26-2010 11:48 AM

I'm surprised no one mentioned Allen Flyfishing for lines, reels and rods. He has some killer deals and is a great sponsor on this site Allen & Co., Fishing Tackle

Kelly.

yareelohim 05-27-2010 12:51 AM

How do the Allen Fly lines compare to some of the others I was looking at? Are these good lines compared to Rio or SA Mastery?