The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 01:13 PM

dsssox13 is on a distinguished road
Default When to change your leader?

What is a good indicator of when to replace my leader? and how do i know what (x) to use for my tippet and leader? Is it based on what kind of fly im fishing? Thanks for the help, im fairly new and am trying to learn as much as possible.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:43 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: When to change your leader?

If you're talking about a tapered leader, it gets cut back everytime you change flies. Once you loose 18-24", tie on some tippet of a similar size.

The size leader (X) is determined by the size of the fly.

Click this

I'm sure there is a table on here someplace, Frank would know where it is.

This chart is probably for mono, not flouro.

It's just my opinion, but you might try furled leaders. This way, all you have to change out is the tippet if you change fly sizes/need more length/whatever. One leader should last you all season.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:49 PM

boser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura about

Yep, thats what I do, I mostly use 3X Tippet material (Orvis Super Strong) and tie about 3 feet of ot directly to a furled leader I got from Joni. The furled leader has a tippet ring so it's really nice.

Boser
Old 06-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi dsssox13,

If you don't get any wind knots in your leader or it is not damaged due to walking on it or wrapping around tree limbs, a leader can last most of a season. When you buy a tapered leader at a fly shop the package will tell you about the length of the leader, the butt and tippet size. You can see in the chart Axle27 provided that different flies takes different tippet diameters. As you use up your tippet tying on flies you have to tie on another piece about the same length.

One way to check you leader for damage is to pull it carefully across your finger tips. I just lay the leader across two fingers with my palm up and then place my thumb on top of the leader. Now pull it though you fingers with light pressure from your thumb and you will feel any damage to your leader.

Frank

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 06-09-2010 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:10 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I use tippet rings when my leader gets to short. I'm switching to furled leaders as soon as the come in the mail. Mine get kinky so I cut them off and change them.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:38 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
. . . If you don't get any wind knots in your leader or it is not damaged due to walking on it or wrapping around tree limbs, a leader can last most of a season. When you buy a tapered leader at a fly shop the package will tell you about the length of the leader, the butt and tippet size. . . .
Actually, if you tie/reconstruct your own leaders, a leader can last indefinitely. All you need to retain is the leader butt section, and replace the remaining sections using whatever leader formula you desire (here's a good source for this: Fly Fishing Leaders and Formulas). While there are disadvantages to hand-tied leaders (knots pick up moss, etc.), the advantages are many - custom leader characteristics to suit your casting situations, very inexpensive, etc.

There are leader tying kits - such as Froghair's - that make the leader construction/reconstruction relatively easy.