The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2010, 09:20 AM

greatcanadian is on a distinguished road
Default Allen Fly Line

Hi all,
Setting up for this season's fly fishing. Purchased a new 8 weight rod, a new reel, and just ordered some Allen weight forward floating line 8 weight. Didn't NEED any of this stuff, but convinced myself I did. I have no experience with Allen fly lines. I am wondering if anyone could give me their impression on the lines. They are incredibly priced. Even if i had to by a replacement every year I would still be money in. I will need some decent distance for salmon fishing large rivers. If any of you have used these lines could you please give me your opinion? I know I could have bought the expensive lines and not worry, but I already have that and am interested in trying out Allen. Also considering a 4 weight rod/reel from him eventually.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:09 AM

boser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Allen Fly Line

I have purchsaed many Allen fly lines and I am very pleased with every wt that I've purchased and used. 3,5,7 wt respectfully.

The Allen line actually casts longer with my 3 wt than the other line. The price cannot be beat.

Regards, Boser
Old 06-09-2010, 11:24 AM

thenextlevel is on a distinguished road

I purchased a 3 wt and 8 wt. I haven't used the 8 wt yet, but was very pleased with the 3 wt line. It works as well as any other line I have had on there. You can't beat the price!
Old 06-09-2010, 06:30 PM

greatcanadian is on a distinguished road

If that is fact, then it's incredible that such a line can be purchased for so cheap. Impressive. Thanks guys.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:33 PM

ab fisher is on a distinguished road

I have a 3wt line and love it. I am going to replace all my lines with Allen lines adn let Mrs. fisher take my old stuff.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:10 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Have you guys found Allens lines to be close in diameter to other brands of lines of the same weight? Justin sent me some "5wt WFF" line", looks way to thin in comparison to some Rio I have. He said he may have sent me the wrong stuff. It's even thinner than the line on my 3 wt. Can someone look at there 5wt and 3 wt lines and tell me if they are thinner than other brands of lines?
Old 06-10-2010, 11:30 AM

boser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura about

I just compared the 3 wt line (Allen) to the 3 wt line (Bass Pro) and they are about the same. I did however find a 3 wt line in a 5 wt package . I had a few of the 5 wt so it wanst a huge problem. The 3 wt line really does cast farther than the bass Pro brand. I just need to order about 3 of each size so I have some in stock as my 3 sons are now getting into fly fishing....

Regards, Boser
Old 06-10-2010, 03:06 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Thanks for checking. I ordered 5wt and it appears to be 3 wt line since he doesn't offer anything smaller. My packaging had nothing showing the weight of the line. It can't be 5 wt.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Business Member

allenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to all

Hi jcw355, Can you let me know what line you ordered? was is floating, sinking, intermeditate, 2-color floating, or sinking tip? Can you always send it back and I can look to see what the issue is and send out the correct line. This is the first that someone has brought up this issue. It could be a simple mistake on my end while packing the line.

Thank you,

Justin
Old 11-26-2011, 06:08 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

I want to pull this thread from the dead, curious everyones thoughts on the line now?

Looking at getting line for my 3wt Its down to $70 Scientific Anglers Or trying this Allen brand fly line.

Its only $12 so if it turned out to be a dud its not a major loss just curious how you guys are liking it almost a year later?

Also weight forward or double taper for a fast actiong 7.5' 3wt?