The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2011, 08:30 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Do I need Sinking Line???

I've never owned a sinking line before, only floating lines. In the past, when I wanted to get deep with larger streamers, I would either put on a 2 or 3x leader or some mono on really large flies and use it on my floating line. I don't think it is much of a problem considering most of the places I fish are not deep rivers or lakes; I am usually fishing wadeable, or just beyond wadeable waters. I am primarily trout fishing. If I'm not going be fishing 10' deep water or pools is there really a need for sinking line? Are they used for purposes other than streamers; nymphs or wets? If so please explain.

Also, the sinking lines are always talked about in "grain" weight. What do these numbers mean, and which numbers match up with what size rods well. I also notice that there are VERY many options...full sink, tip sink, slow and fast sink, multi tip.
labnut2 likes this.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:49 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Do I need Sinking Line???

Mastery Series Streamer Express Long Kelly Galloup - Mastery Series - Lines
Kelly Galloup's streamer line, and google up Jim Teeny lines.
I think it would be worth giving a shot. Adds another dimension to river fishing. It could also be use for stillwater fishing too.

I use an Orvis Depth Charge line for stillwaters- 250 gr. Which is good for a 5w line. Joni uses 300 gr. for 6w.
It's mainly a river sink tip line. 30' of sink tip, the rest is an intermediate running line. I think the Galloup line is 50' sink tip.

http://www.flyfishingfrenzy.com/2010...aight-shootin/
Old 05-29-2011, 05:52 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Sink tips are essential in a lot of the streamer and other wet fly fishing I do at this time of year. I use a 200 grain tip on five/6 wts, and 300ish on 7's, 400ish on 8's. At a place like Upper Dam in Maine, getting the fly down is essential. The heavier the flow, the more weight, in grains, I feel I need.
Gary
Old 05-31-2011, 04:04 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

It depends on what kind of water your fishing, and what kind of streamers your presenting. Many of the big Gallop streamers require some kind of head because the flys are floaters (better action) and you need the head to get them down. My approach to streamers in MI is this.

Smaller streams (wadding) Ausable Holy Water/ North Branch in mid season: I just use my trout 5 weight, a floating line with (9' leader) weighted Woolly buggers or similar flies in sizes 4-8. In low light if bugs aren't happening I've moved some decent fish this way

Smaller Streams Wadding early and late season targeting big fish: I grab my six weight and use a Cortland 444 WF6 with a 10' sink tip. I use a shorter leader with a head (never longer than 4'). I can throw larger flies, but not the big Muskie Pike stuff we'll throw on bigger water.

Larger water, working streamers out of a boat (Ausable trophy water/Mio- PM): I grab a SW 6 (Hardy Proaxis), with most other rods I'd use a 7 SW rod. I know guys that use 8 weights. You want a fast cannon for this kind of fishing. I use a four foot straight 15 lb. Climax leader. And for line I use a Cortland QD 200-250 grain 30 foot head with integrated intermediate running line. I like the Cortland better because the int. running line joins the head naturally eliminating a hinge in your loops (a huge problem on the old Teeny heads) and it is low memory, shoots great in colder water, and it's softer on you hands than textured lines. Stripping streamers will wear out your hands, wear finger protection with the SA, I don't need it with the Cortland. But both the SA and the Cortland are good lines for this kind of fishing.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:22 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have everything from intermediate to heads made from t-14. At some point or another I have needed them all. My theory is you can never have to much tackle, and it really sucks to need something and not have it. The numbers refer to how fast they sink. I'd start with an intermediate first and go for the deeper lines as you discover more fish you had not been previously been getting down to. My vote, if it counts, is go get it.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:41 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

If the water you're fishing is not too fast and not more than three or four feet deep, I don't think you need a sinking line, although I prefer casting without adding a heavy shot or a heavy fly, so if I water is fast and four feet, I'll use a sinking tip.

Randy
Old 06-03-2011, 12:14 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
If the water you're fishing is not too fast and not more than three or four feet deep, I don't think you need a sinking line, although I prefer casting without adding a heavy shot or a heavy fly, so if I water is fast and four feet, I'll use a sinking tip.

Randy
Thanks Burk, and Randy....I think you summed it up for me. Until I'm fishing lakes, or bigger faster rivers I probably don't need anything sinking. I don't mind tying with lead wrap, or using coneheads or dumbell eyes. I never seem to have a problem scraping bottom anywhere I fish. I'm usually in wadeable waters. I don't get downstream in the boat waters of the Ausable but I'll keep it in consideration if I ever head to newer bigger waters.

Diver Dan...
I'm with you on never having enough diversity of gear...but until I start to seek out bigger deeper water I'll hold off. My gear is overflowing my gear closet already. Three years ago (before I found e-bay) I had a 9'5wt rig and some waders...now I've lost count of rods/reels/etc! And the fly tying is out of control also...I don't lose nearly as many flies as I tye...so boxes are taking over my tying corner...I'll bet I have 2000 flies stocked up! And so far, all I do is trout fishing.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:03 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I am sold on sinking lines for still water fishing, I am able to get into fish, when others are getting skunked, and that started when I started fishing a full sinking line in the lake off my float tube. when the fish are deep, you either deal with a long leader or you go to a sinking line, the sinking line, in my opinion is the better option.

I fish the uniform sink+ line from SA and love it.

d
Old 08-22-2011, 09:57 PM

chiefmarvin is on a distinguished road

With all the high fast water in California it is harder to get the scud or nymph to the bottom and stay there .............so what sinking tip line is the best. I am convinced that with the fast water indicators are out and line watching is in....
Old 08-22-2011, 10:06 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

To answer your question about "grains", this is a rather old unit of measurement mainly kept alive today with ammunition sizing as well as arrow (as in for bowhunting) weight. It originally is derived from the weight of one grain of barley (some will say wheat, but barley is more often used in beer, and beer is trustworthy, so we're sticking with barley; also, wheat is heavier if we want to get technical). There are 7000 grains to a pound. Hope this helps a bit, if anything it may be helpful for trivial pursuits or a local pub's quiz night!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...