The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2011, 01:02 PM

smoky_hiker will become famous soon enough
Default Another Tippet type question.

I just want to verify, you can tie your fly directly to the leader correct? How ever the purpose of a tippet is what?

"In the school of the outdoors there never is a graduation day" - Jim Casada
Old 06-29-2011, 01:07 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another Tippet type question.

From the forum page "Fly Fishing Gear FAQ", above;

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...ame-thing.html
Old 06-29-2011, 04:36 PM

smoky_hiker will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
From the forum page "Fly Fishing Gear FAQ", above;

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...ame-thing.html
Cool thanks.

"In the school of the outdoors there never is a graduation day" - Jim Casada
Old 06-30-2011, 08:21 AM

team7x is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_hiker View Post
I just want to verify, you can tie your fly directly to the leader correct? How ever the purpose of a tippet is what?
If you're a dry fly fisherman, a 9' leader is way too short. Add 3' or so of tippet and you will get a much better drag free drift. Secondly, if you get refusals, you can add 7x say, to a 6x leader without a problem in leader turnover. Thirdly, unless you like paying $3-4 every few weeks, without tippet, the leader gets shortened every time you tie on a fly. Easier to add needed tippet than replace a leader, especially on stream. Unless you foul it, a leader can last a whole season. You'd be surprised at the number of our guests that fish with either a leader that's too short or no tippet We correct that issue before ever stepping on stream.

Additionally, get rid of loop to loop.

team7x.com

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 06-30-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:35 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default "If you're a dry fly fisherman, a 9' leader is way too short."

So all those fish I've hooked on dry flies connected to 9 foot leader/tippet combinations for the last 30 years were mistakes or pure luck?

Sometimes phrasing things a little less dogmatically can be a little more instructive. Just a thought. We all have our preferences and prejudices, and every outing to a new place can bring new challenges and a need for a solution to a problem. For me, that's an important part of the fun of it all.

The first thing I learned in Wildlife Management 101 (way back when) is that there are no such things as "always" and "never" where momma nature is concerned.
Gary

Last edited by gt05254; 06-30-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:14 AM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

I have used a 7.5' and caught fish guess it depends on the size of stream sure can't go longer than 9' here in western NC or in the GSMNP.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:52 AM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

I have witnessed many beginner fly-fishers that fish tapered leaders right out of the package. (I did the same my first season) I can only assume it is because either they have not been informed about tippet or they may lack the confidence in their knot tying skills. You can catch fish without Tippet added, but utilizing tippet will increase catch rates and increase the life of leader. If you use a standard 7.5 or 9 foot tapered leader and you do not add tippet, the leader could very well be left to short after one day of fishing and changing fly's. (leader’s get shorter with each fly change). By using tippet you can also get better dry fly drifts as mentioned above. When using furled Leaders, you always have a leader end to attach your tippet to. Some furled leaders come with a small tippet ring for easy tippet changes and some come with a shorb loop. Either end gives you a place to tie your tippet to. Furled leaders excel for dry fly fishing conditions. Hope this helped.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 06-30-2011, 11:46 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by team7x View Post
If you're a dry fly fisherman, a 9' leader is way too short. Add 3' or so of tippet and you will get a much better drag free drift. Secondly, if you get refusals, you can add 7x say, to a 6x leader without a problem in leader turnover. Thirdly, unless you like paying $3-4 every few weeks, without tippet, the leader gets shortened every time you tie on a fly. Easier to add needed tippet than replace a leader, especially on stream. Unless you foul it, a leader can last a whole season. You'd be surprised at the number of our guests that fish with either a leader that's too short or no tippet We correct that issue before ever stepping on stream.

Additionally, get rid of loop to loop.
Easy, Gary. He's quite right on leader recommendations for spooky Eastern trout. We're lucky in the West where trout aren't so spooky.

I'm not sure of your reasoning for getting rid of loop-to-loop, but I completely agree. While they're easy to change out, there are other equally-easy ways of doing so without the disadvantage of loop-to-loop hinging.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:58 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Fly2Fish - First, I feel my response was more than civil, and secondly, I guess I should have said that I've been fishing in the EAST for 30 years with 9 foot leader/tippett combinations..yada yada yada.

I say again: dogmatic, it's black and white, cast in stone, only do it this way you're wrong if you do it any other way statements are not very instructive, especially to beginners, and can be rather daunting to them as well.

I have no desire to be combative in any way, shape or form about this topic, but I do feel strongly - obviously - about statements that do not in any way account for the vagaries of fish, habitat, weather and fisherman. "This is the only way you can do it" is a way of thinking that, fortunately, sends lots of us in the opposite direction.

Done.
Gary
Old 07-01-2011, 08:05 AM

team7x is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
Fly2Fish - First, I feel my response was more than civil, and secondly, I guess I should have said that I've been fishing in the EAST for 30 years with 9 foot leader/tippett combinations..yada yada yada.

I say again: dogmatic, it's black and white, cast in stone, only do it this way you're wrong if you do it any other way statements are not very instructive, especially to beginners, and can be rather daunting to them as well.

I have no desire to be combative in any way, shape or form about this topic, but I do feel strongly - obviously - about statements that do not in any way account for the vagaries of fish, habitat, weather and fisherman. "This is the only way you can do it" is a way of thinking that, fortunately, sends lots of us in the opposite direction.

Done.

Take a chill...hit the stream and keep it drag free!
Gary
Read the second sentence, i.e. the reason for why tippet helps. Obvious that if you don't need more drag free drift, don't add tippet. I'm looking for "just do it this way, or "you're wrong if you do it in any other way" and not seeing those references.

I regard posts here as most do, as individual opinions, not dogma.

Take a chill...hit the stream and keep it drag free!
Gary[/QUOTE]