The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2011, 12:45 PM

pl4a is on a distinguished road
Default Where to start with trying furled leader?

I'd like to try using a furled leader. Never tried one before and I'm curious to try something new to compare to typical tapered leaders I have been using since I started ffing.

Any recommendations on which one to try? Took a quick look through Google and ebay and came-up with too many options to count and I'm confused as to whether furled leaders are specific to application.

I fish primary for trout in smalls streams. Any recommendations would be much appreciated. Just looking for a place to start my experimentation. Thanks in advance.

-Paul
Old 07-19-2011, 01:23 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Where to start with trying furled leader?

PM Joni., She is the resident queen of all things furled.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:48 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer09 View Post
PM Joni., She is the resident queen of all things furled.
X2!!!!!!!!

Yat's Blog: http://pleinaircolorado.blogspot.com/
Old 07-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi pl4a,

I recommended you go to CutThroat Furled Leaders and look at their dry fly leaders. You can call Mike and he will make sure you get what you need. The CutThroat leaders are very well made and they are a sponsor of this site. You have the option of lengths, colors and types of furled leaders. You need to buy the proper weight of leader to match your fly line. So if you are fishing a 5wt fly line you need to use a furled leader made for a 5wt.

Frank
Old 07-19-2011, 05:58 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I will suggest Joni also. She knows her stuff. Dry, nymphing, stillwater leaders, and the best price for the best quality leaders. Thread or mono.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:41 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
I will suggest Joni also. She knows her stuff. Dry, nymphing, stillwater leaders, and the best price for the best quality leaders. Thread or mono.
+1 from me
Old 07-19-2011, 08:22 PM

Thanks all! Exactly the information I needed. I'll follow-up shortly after I get my first shot at using them....hopefully in the next 2 weeks.

Again, I very much appreciate the terrific responses from the members of this forum.

-Paul
Old 07-31-2011, 03:44 PM

Two thumbs-up for Joni's furled leaders. I had a chance to try this them yesterday in Moraine Park RMNP.

I nymphed in the morning, but things were slower than they had been the past several months. I switched to dry-fly (yellow stimulator) and I was able to lay down it down in crystal clear water w/o sending the brookies scattering. Started hooking up consistently and had a fantastic afternoon. A good sign that dry-fly fishing in the park is on!

I switched out 2 times (standard tapered leader vs furled) to get some side-by-side comparison. I still caught fish with the tapered leader, but many more with the furled. The biggest difference for me was that my first cast to a location was more frequently right-on with furled vs. tapered. I'm no expert caster, so keep that in mind. For me, I could not deny the improvement I got using furled. Another big selling point is ability to use right out of the package instead of working to straighten tapered leader to get rid of memory.

Thanks Joni, I'm a customer now.

-Paul