The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 07:55 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default Re: overlining light weight rods?

I'm a bit late with a comment, but I've decided that I get the best results overlining most graphite rods at least one weight. There are exceptions (actually only one of 1 of 5 of my favorites suits me with the rated line weight, but it's a DT line on it now), but for most at least a 1/2 weight heavy line matches my casting style.

My rods/lines:
Sage Vantage 7'0" 3wt / WF4F line
Ross Essence FS 8'6" 3wt / Rio Grand (3 1/2 wt line) WF3F
Sage Graphite II 9'6" 8wt / WF9F
Ross FlyStik 7'11" 6wt / DT6F
StCroix RioSanto 9'0" 6wt / WF7F

For long distance casting I may switch to the rated line weight, but most of my fishing is short distance casting and a fair amount of roll casting is involved, so the heavier lines give me better results. Especially in the light (3wt) rods!

A 20-30' cast with a little wind and a 3wt line is pure folly in most cases.

The Ross Essence FS 8'6" 3wt is my newest rod and the initial fishing with a standard WF3F was not too difficult, but the Rio Grand line gave me a very noticable improvement in performance. Still need to try DT3F and WF4F on it.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:50 AM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

All of my glass rods use their rated lines nicely. I recently purchased a Z-Axis 4 wt. and I went with RIO Gold in 4 wt. I'm waiting on it's arrival before I comment with over or under lining.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:43 PM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

The RIO Gold arrived today; but, after being awake 18 hours, I'm not going fishing now.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:19 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

I just look at the number printed on the rod as merely a suggested starting point in matching up a line with a specific rod. I will then experiment to find a combo that will match the casting behavior I like. It's always nice when my preferences match up to what is printed on the rod, but I've also come to a realization that this is not always going to be the case.

I've found that the numbers on both rods, and the lines are often not listed consistently between manufactures. I will also use measurements such as CCS, and the actual grain weight of the line, to help me find a combination that will match my preferences.

I just want a rod to cast well, and if that means either underlining or overlining a specific rod, I will do this without hesitation.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:40 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

Kinda late to the thread but when I purchased my newest Winston 7'6 3wt GVX I started with a RIO Light Trout line and it did nothing for the rod. The GVX is pretty much todays version of yesterdays Winston IM6 graphite so it has the deep flex and much slower pace despite Winston branding it a "fast" action rod.

So for giggles I stripped the RIO line from the reel and loaded up the new SA GPX textured line- with it's 1/2 line weight heavier taper. Holy cow! suddenly the rod came alive, the difference was beyond profound- it was like the two were made for each other.

My point is similar to the other poster in that the rating on the rod is simply a starting point. A good shop will let you play with some different options till you find the round peg for the round hole. If not, find another fly shop.....
Old 09-21-2011, 02:50 AM

fisher46 is on a distinguished road

A digital scale coupled with some down loaded conversion for grain weight was an important part towards improving my casting. 2 weights and maybe 1/2 are perfect for shooting lines. Depends on the rod. Sink rate of shooting heads effects casting. They are just bouncier? the faster they sink. ( w/o a fly, line sinks at the same rate) The smaller the diameter running line while minimalizing friction makes for a good shooting line set up. There is also being able to manipulate the line with your fingers. Hence, integrated lines. Intergreated line let's you cheat a little on that over hang point. The bottom line is... Practice and experimentation will make you a better caster. Casting well only improves the enjoyment of fishing because you are learning to eliminate frustration and keeping that fly at the fish. If I can drop a fly a 90' with an 8 wt , on demand over an over, I'm a happy guy.