The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2011, 12:06 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default overlining light weight rods?

im not a fan of over lining rods so to speak. the exception lately has been on my 2 - 4 weight rods in the 6 to 7 foot length. over lining by one seems to give me a much better casting srtroke as well as a better "feel" of the rod.

casey

ARFE
Old 07-23-2011, 01:46 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: overlining light weight rods?

What matters is that your rods are fine tuned for you.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:23 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

I have sometimes considered overlining my small creek rods simply because at the distances I'm casting I never get out enough line to load the rod.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I can relate, I used to have a 7' 3/4wt Imperial, and with the 3wt line, it took a good bit of line out to flex it much.

I'm also generally against overlining, but occasionally put a 4wt on my 8'6" 3wt TFO when fishing really tight stuff.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:34 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
I can relate, I used to have a 7' 3/4wt Imperial, and with the 3wt line, it took a good bit of line out to flex it much.

I'm also generally against overlining, but occasionally put a 4wt on my 8'6" 3wt TFO when fishing really tight stuff.
I currently use a WF4F on that rod, Cliff. It behaves a bit better now.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
I currently use a WF4F on that rod, Cliff. It behaves a bit better now.
Glad you're enjoying it. It was just a skosh short for me.

It should behave well, I bought it from a preacher.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:58 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

I actually just finished testing a new 3wt 7'-6" TFO. The rod has an Allen 3/4 trout series reel. I first tested the outfit with 3wt line, did some lawn casting in the backyard. I then tried the same rod with 4wt fly line... I had much better power and accuracy. The rod loaded perfectly. I was actually very impressed with the distance I could cast.

On larger rods, I typically do not upsize my line, but on 4 wt and below, I do see the benefits. Hope this helped.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 07-26-2011, 12:57 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Dennis said it. Tune your rod.
Most folks that I fish with out here (primarily Sage owners), up-line at least one wt. Often two....
What ever works for you.
Dud rods have been reborn due to line experimenting.
And great rods are better fitted for waters we fish.

Jim
Old 07-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
im not a fan of over lining rods so to speak. the exception lately has been on my 2 - 4 weight rods in the 6 to 7 foot length. over lining by one seems to give me a much better casting srtroke as well as a better "feel" of the rod.

casey
Have you ever used the common cents system to see what the rods really should be rated? There are a ton of rods out there that are misrated by at least one. It would be interesting to see if they did that because they want you to think they cast far for a light rod. Underlining is a good way to get distance. If your rods are actually rated one higher than what they say they would be intentionally having you underline by one.
Might be worth checking.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:45 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

All my small stream rods are vintage glass
No need to over line and one I under line,