The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2011, 10:22 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Switch Rod fly line

Hey all,

I am ventruing into a new area here, and I have an 11 ft medium action, mid flex (IM8) switch rod, that, per the manufacturer needs to have:

30-40 ft shooting head a 280-320 grain line.
50-60 foot short belly a 450-490 grain line.

Now, being uneducated in switch rods and shooting heads, and only newly aquainted with full sinking lines, here is my quandry.

For fishing mostly still water, but possibly having the option of fishing this rig on the Truckee River:

I want to use this switch rod, but, I have no idea what line to get that will be in the right weight range, cast ok with this rod, and ideally have the option to attach a sink tip (never used a sink tip, so don't know if this is feasible) I do have a SA Multi-tip with a 49 foot head length that weighs in at 420 grains that seems to work just ok with this switch rod, though my ability to cast it the one time I tried it was marginal at best.

Any recommendations for a line for this switch rod? and/or how best to fish this rod in 10-16 feet of water (sink tips, sinking line, floating line with long leader?) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

d
Old 07-23-2011, 08:49 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Switch Rod fly line

Are you going to fish this rod single handed or two handed?

Dennis
Old 07-25-2011, 07:46 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Dennis,
I think I am going to fish it two handed, for times when for one reason or another, I can't get out on a float tube.

Dave
Old 07-25-2011, 10:40 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Give Andy or Dan a call at West River Fly Shop to see if they have the Beulah Tonic (Skagit) or Elixir (Scandi) switch shooting heads. The heads are fairly short (around 20' for the Tonic, 25' for the Elixir). You can use sinking leaders or T-8 tips to help get your fly down.

I am not a big fan of the shortened traditional taper lines on switch rods. There is just too much length to manage.

Dennis
Old 07-27-2011, 12:26 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

This may be off topic, but is there any thinking that a switch rod should really be fished only two-handed instead of one-handed? My experience with them is that they tend to be too heavy to fish one-handed comfortably, at least for a prolonged period. When you think about it, the rod characteristics for one-handed casting seem an awfully lot different from the rod characteristics for two-handed casting.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:31 AM

thanks guys.

F2F, I agree, one handed can be done, but it seems a little heavy for an all day excursion.

d
Old 07-27-2011, 12:37 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

One selling point of the z-axis switch is light weight.
Of course, I'm in training, but I can wield it all day.
It is actually less overall strain than a single handed rod to me when high sticking..
You can keep your elbow down at your side, but still do a complete mend.
Single hand is mostly what I do.
For me, two handed style only creeps in, when fishing distance increases..
or I change to skagit style.

Jim

Last edited by Bigfly; 07-27-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:10 AM

Fished it yesterday, still not getting the hang of the cast for this rod, watched videos before I left, and it seems so easy when someone else is doing it. The biggest issue is after stripping in (stillwater), it takes several casts to get enough line back out to put some weight on the rod. I did seem to do ok with a modified roll cast and when I went one handed I was able to cast it ok. Guess I am gonna talk to the guys at the fly shop and see if one of them can hook me up with a lesson or two.

d
Old 07-30-2011, 09:34 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrx View Post
Fished it yesterday, still not getting the hang of the cast for this rod, watched videos before I left, and it seems so easy when someone else is doing it. The biggest issue is after stripping in (stillwater), it takes several casts to get enough line back out to put some weight on the rod. I did seem to do ok with a modified roll cast and when I went one handed I was able to cast it ok. Guess I am gonna talk to the guys at the fly shop and see if one of them can hook me up with a lesson or two.

d
Switch rods, like spey rods depend on moving water(rivers) to help load the rod up. I think that's why you're having trouble with your cast if you're fishing stillwater.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:37 AM

Thanks Mojo, I agree they were designed for moving water, but got interested in using them on lakes when wading and where backcast room was limited. this video, kind of pushed me over the "give it a try" edge.

Lake Fishing with Switch Rods | Video Tips

d