The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2010, 11:46 AM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all
Question Fly line loops?

Hello all,
First I want to say that I realize this question is very similar to the one posted by wrex equipment, but I didn't want to horn in on his thread.
Recently I bought some furled leaders and they have loops on both ends. However my line had the leader nail knotted on. I had read about different people using welded loops and whipped loops. But I also found some old Orvis fly fishing instructional videos and they show the instructor making a perfection loop with the fly line. Now there was hardly any volume and I couldn't hear so maybe he was just using the fly line for demonstration purposes, because it seemed to me like that would be a very bulky setup.
My question is kind of two-fold. Whats the difference in whipped loops and welded loops and can I make them myself? Also, am I completely lost on this idea of using a perfection loop on the end of my line?
I guess thats kinda three-fold!
Thanks...........

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 06-18-2010, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Fly line loops?

Seth,

I put a whipped loop on the end of my sink tips but use a piece of Amnesia nail knotted to floating lines. You can do your own welded, whipped, or nail knotted connections. It just takes some research to fine the instructions. I have never used a furled leader but unless I were fishing for big game I might just put a braided loop on a light fly line in order to keep things simple.

I could be all wet on this but a whipped loop is simply one that you create by wrapping the loop with heavy tying thread and then coating it with water proof adhesive (I also put a little piece of shrink wrap on mine) a welded loop is as the name implied and you will need to find a detailed directive for that procedure as I have never made one.

You will get responses from members who are more astute than I am on this topic and they will point you in the best direction for using the leaders you have purchased. As for a perfection loop, forget that idea.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-18-2010, 11:02 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Thanks Ard. Youve been a great help. I think I will take your advice and try the piece of amnesia. That seems the simplest at this point in time. What test would you recommend for a 5 wt rod?
I apologize for asking so many questions.

BTW the leaders I bought were from Quigleys. Great quality. I'm very happy with them. Thanks again!

Old 06-19-2010, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi cattech89,

Here is a method I have used since the fifties. I have used it on lines as heavy as 6wt. Joni shows how to make a simple loop bending the line back on its self and epoxying the wrap. I thought it was in the FAQ but didn't see it. You can find it in her Threads.

Here is a thread that shows some different ways to make a loop. You have to scan down to see them all.

Frank
Old 06-21-2010, 12:39 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

cattech89,

I use furled leaders all the time with a loop on the butt end and a 2mm tippet ring on the tippet end. If the floating fly line does not have a welded loop, or when the welded loop breaks down, I always nail knot a short length of Amnesia line to the fly line then tie a Perfection loop in the end of the Amnesia line - this provides the "loop" for your "loop-to-loop" connection.

I have been using the Amnesia line for a lot of years; you want to use a decent weight Amnesia line so you do not get the hinging effect between the fly line and the leader. I use 15kb for 3wt and 4wt lines, 20lb for 5wt and 6wt lines, and 25 lb for 7wt and 8wt lines. Just make sure that the Amnesia is not stronger than your backing if you will be getting into bigger fish (salmon, etc.).
Old 06-21-2010, 02:22 PM

Thanks Frank and Brewmaster. Those tips help a lot. Everybody here is just awesome.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:17 AM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

cattech89,

By the way - you probably don't have to go buy a spool of Amnesia line, a lot of fly shops have a spool or two of different weights for their own use. If you ask they will probably let you have a foot or so, especially if it is the fly shop where you bought the furled leaders. Good luck!
Old 06-22-2010, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,

Feather-Craft says that Amnesia is going away. So if you want a spool or two now is the time to buy them. It seems to last for ever if kept out of the sun.

Frank
Old 06-22-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Feather-Craft says that Amnesia is going away. So if you want a spool or two now is the time to buy them. It seems to last for ever if kept out of the sun.
Thanks Frank. Ebay is loaded with different weights of Amnesia for 3.99 per spool; a box of 10 rolls for 35 bucks.
Just thought Id pass it on.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Feather-Craft is selling it at $1.95 but they are out of 15 and 30 pound.

Frank