The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2011, 09:55 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: SA's Sharkskin lines

It will be interestiang to see what SA introduces at the current FTDShow. I hope for some new tapers and an amelioration of Sharkskins' abrasivness. The Sharkskin Trout is a very cool compound taper but the saltwater versions are just plain un-usable with out wearing finger guards.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:01 PM

tourproto is on a distinguished road

I have been using 5WF Sharkskin line for the past 2 seasons. It is certainly expensive line and I would not have bought it on my own (it was a birthday gift).

As others have said, it is noisy. Nothing nearly as irritating as a crying baby on a plane, but certainly noticeable. The line is also "rough" and while I haven't gotten anything like a "rug burn" on my fingers, you certainly do "feel it" when a rainbow is running off on your stripped line.

But on the plus side, I am able to cast farther with the Sharkskin line than my previous Orvis line (I put the Sharkskin on a new reel, so I could compare side by side).

Would I buy it again for $100? Probably not. I am not catching more fish with the Sharkskin than I was with the Orvis line and while I am able to cast farther, those situations where I need it are probably less than 10% of the time I spend fishing, so I would rather pocket the $40-50 difference and buy some more flies.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:13 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

$40 to $50 difference??? where you buying...LOL All the lines I see these days are $70 and up.

Still don't get the noise thing, but I admit, you can feel it when a fish runs...but as a woman I can honestly say it is not a big deal...it is not sand paper by any means.
I also agree you might not need to cast that extra 15 feet, but I make my living on the fact I can if I need to...all I use for the past 3 years.
I would try the textured line out of curiosity, but nothing else interest me anymore.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:13 PM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
It will be interestiang to see what SA introduces at the current FTDShow. I hope for some new tapers and an amelioration of Sharkskins' abrasivness. The Sharkskin Trout is a very cool compound taper but the saltwater versions are just plain un-usable with out wearing finger guards.
As far as the salt water have you tried the Airflo Ridge Lines. Seeing alot of great reports on it. The big plus is they will not tangle up like the Rio or SA lines.

I have one of Justin's 9wt Bone fish lines on an older Powell and it is slick and relatively coil free and shoots great. I think he uses the same tapers as a Rio.

Still curious about the cold water 5/6 wts as to what works best on a medium action rod. Unfortunately the 2 shops here are Saltwater orientated.

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
$40 to $50 difference??? where you buying...LOL All the lines I see these days are $70 and up.

Still don't get the noise thing, but I admit, you can feel it when a fish runs...but as a woman I can honestly say it is not a big deal...it is not sand paper by any means.
I also agree you might not need to cast that extra 15 feet, but I make my living on the fact I can if I need to...all I use for the past 3 years.
I would try the textured line out of curiosity, but nothing else interest me anymore.
Joni just tell these guys to toughen up there office fingers.
Have you had a chance to use any of the Airflo Sixth Sense Floating Lines or the Airflo Ridge Distance Taper
Old 08-18-2011, 05:37 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellb View Post
Hey Rick-

Nice to talk with a neighbor! I think that they are both great lines, it is hard to wrong either way. That said, I just don't foresee say in a year or so "man, I should have purchased the Sharkskin". Maybe I'll be wrong, we will see. In the past 26+ years I have cast a lot of fly lines, some great- some I wanted to strip off my reel, toss to the ground and set on fire... As of right now I think SA may have shot themselves in the foot- I truly feel that the difference between the performance of the Textured and SS is so subtile that that the sales of the Texture "could" hurt the sales of the SS.

With regard to the GPX 1/2 weight heavier- I even put one on my soft action 3wt Winston and it really makes that rod come alive. In any case if you can do some test driving before you buy.
Hey Russ
Used the SS skin a few times now, I like the way if feels in the fingers, it lets me know its there, it casts great. I've ordered a Mastery GPX Textured to cast next to the SS and one I'll put on a soft rod. Still know alot of people in Springfield and Dad is still there, all the best and good fishing.

Rick
Old 08-18-2011, 06:55 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

seajay, I have the older Ridgeline and it floats like a cork, but it has bad memory, I am sure they have corrected that issue.
I bought SS and kinda stopped there.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:27 PM

cromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nice

I like the SS for the same reasons mentioned so I wont go there again. I will add I like SS for nymphing, pulling line off the water when mending is easier as SS doesn't seem to grab the water like smooth lines do. A great all around performing line IMO. The cons mentioned don't bother me that much or at all for that matter, small price to pay for a better performing line IMHO.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:04 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I've used Sharkskin on my 5 wt. rod for the past 2 1/2 seasons and I've never had any trouble with it.

I find it an easy line to handle and, although I do understand the finger abrasion point, you can get a pretty good burn off any line if you're holding it too tight or not letting it go out when a fish is running at a pace that could break your tippet. I do find that I put more fish on the reel now, as opposed to hand stripping them in; particularly the larger fish.

As far as the noise goes, my hearing isn't what it used to be and for me, it makes no more noise than any other line......

Don't look for SA to reduce the abrasion very much, the technology behind Sharkskin reduces surface friction by eliminating surface area; what you're feeling as abrasion are the edges of the cavities that exist throughout the entire line. They're based on 3M's microreplication technology (same technology that makes the green highway signs "glow" at night). The outside of the line looks like an upside down egg carton, rolled into a cylinder (the line). Reduce the cavities and the friction goes up.

Pocono
Old 08-19-2011, 12:51 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=seajay;303942]As far as the salt water have you tried the Airflo Ridge Lines. Seeing alot of great reports on it. The big plus is they will not tangle up like the Rio or SA lines.

Seajay,

If you have read any of my previous fly line posts you will recognize me as a maniac line switcher. My belief is that there is no "best" line but, rather, a line that matches optimally with a given rod. Besides dry fly trrout fishing, my other angling love is bonefishing. Couple of seasons back I added Scott's S4s#8 to my quiver and, after casting all the usual suspects with it, tried the Airflo Ridge Tropic...Bingo, the winner! A terrific line with that rod and it floated, shot and was relativly tangle free. This spring I aquired another #8, the much anticipated Loomis NRX powerhouse. One of the first lines I tried on this line-tempermental rod was the Ridge. On NRX, it was a dull dog! The winner: a tie between RIO's #8 Tarpon Taper and SA's new Saltwater Textured. I took both lines to the Bahamas with the new Textured line rigged on the reel. One of NRX's rejects was Sharkskin Magnum (too heavy and too much weight up front in the taper) but it was perfect on my wife's TFO BVK.

First day out, our guide said, "what's with the noisey lines, mon?" "You know, dem bonefish, dey hear dat hiss under water and dey don't like it and neither do I"! Over conch fritters latter, my wife said, "change my line, Ezra does'nt like it". I did and the next day, fishing the class standard SA Bonefish, she caught more fish. "De lady she listens to me, mon, how about you"? That evening I switched to the RIO Tarpon, Ezra was happy and it was not a big compromise on my behalf having already determined that the RIO was a fine match too.

Now my question to all of you is: Casting sound aside, do you think a fish can hear the hiss of the texture of a line made in the guides when stripping a fly sub-surface? There is a lot of ambient noise on a flat, the wind and tidal movement of the water and its surface, the slap against a skiffs chines, crunch of the push poll...Does Ezra have a point or does he just like the quite?
Old 08-19-2011, 11:47 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
It will be interestiang to see what SA introduces at the current FTDShow.
Quote:
From SA's Facebook page: This just in: Our new line Mastery Textured Trout Stalker won best freshwater line at IFTD. Booyah
It isn't a Sharkskin line. Don't ask me about it. I just found that out a few minutes ago.

Dennis