The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2011, 01:32 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: SA's Sharkskin lines

Come on Dennis.......
We look to you for all the gear questions!
Sitting at TDC at all times.
Hip deep in fishing, as it twere.

Since vibrations travel through most any medium (including air), I would think the Zzzzz sound would be transmitted down the line a bit..
Fishing less educated fish I doubt whether it makes a difference. Might be interesting to test on the tougher ones. If I could handle the Zzzz...

Hey, D you coming up soon?
I've seen a fish you should talk to. Big motha.
He thinks he's safe..

Jim
Old 08-21-2011, 12:26 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Jim,
I've been working up to seven days a week between two jobs, so it may be awhile til I get time to travel to the T. I have been able to get a few hours on a mid-elevation stream with the 3 weight.

I'm not sure if you heard, but Darren E. is now the regional SA rep. He may be able to get you some lines.

Dennis
Old 08-22-2011, 11:21 AM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of

Dennis, hang in there.....
I've heard a rumor, that the T party wants to go to an 8 day work week.....just like the old days.
Thanks for the heads up about Darin and SA.
You just give a shout if you get free....

Jim
Old 08-22-2011, 03:06 PM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

I have had a Sharkskin 5 wt. for awhile now, and it casts like a dream. I am going to go for the Textured from now on, however, as I actually did encounter a pretty bad burn (bleeding cut on my stripping finger) while on a trip this past spring. I was forewarned by the guys at my local shop where I had purchased it, so luckily I had some stripping guards handy and they saved the rest of my trip. While I continue to use that line for many applications, I have purchased two new lines over the last year and neither were Sharkskin (one is a new Rio Gold WF5 that I'm pretty excited to try over the next couple of weeks on vacation in CO, it came highly recommended)
Old 08-23-2011, 12:08 PM

I can recommend the Rio Gold.
All my client rods (5 wt Z-axis) have a 6wt on them..
Also use the Indicator tip line. Not for dries, but doubled over extra-floaty tip works well.
Felt the need to color a bit on the ORANGE tip......
SA seems a little longer lasting than Rio, but I like Rio's tapers better for casting here...

Jim
Old 08-23-2011, 01:37 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
I can recommend the Rio Gold.
All my client rods (5 wt Z-axis) have a 6wt on them..
Also use the Indicator tip line. Not for dries, but doubled over extra-floaty tip works well.
Felt the need to color a bit on the ORANGE tip......
SA seems a little longer lasting than Rio, but I like Rio's tapers better for casting here...

Jim

Different strokes, I have the Gold and used it once...just don't care for it. So, it is basically find what you like and stick with it.

(I could say, put Gold on one rod and SS on the same exact rod, then hand it to you customers/clients...he, he, he)
Old 08-23-2011, 02:26 PM

Joni, maybe different water requirements for both of us...
I fish bigger moving water mostly, and distance casts aren't the crux.
On the contrary, far away, means fewer fish...
A good roll cast is more valuable here.
That, and distance lines often don't turn over as well, when indy fishing.
I also like a little sneakier color than bright yellow near the tip.
Have done the experiment you suggested several times. (He, he, he!)
Same result for me.
Like you say, different strokes.
I only throw stuff out there so people can try something different, if they'd like to....
not selling anything, just fishing. Just looking for a way to raise my game.

When are you and Mojo coming out west? Do the tour, bring your line, lets do a shoot out!

Jim

Last edited by Bigfly; 08-23-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:05 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds fun, and I know you aren't selling anything, but sharing. I know several that like the Gold, I just don't. I will say I am getting older and my arms are no where near what they use to be, so I just find the SS more easy for me and on stillwater with the Gulpers, that distance can make or break you.
Love to roll cast in fact that is all I do, because I use the indys. I teach all the newbies to roll instead of the back and forth over the shoulder.

To be honest, I liked the Windcutter II and the Selective Trout much better than the Gold. I am not sure why.

I hope I am not coming off like I am looking to stir the pot, absolutely not! Just the other side of the coin. What is great for one, isn't for the other.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:48 PM

Joni, I'd never profile you as a pot stirrer.
And honesty is a much neglected trait generally, so it's always good to talk with you.

Less surface area for casting, (the little teeth) seem to make the SS a lower floater for me on the water. Actually I think there is more surface for the water to grab.
I suspected from past posts that you did more still water, where distance really counts.
Here, it's a heavy set up to turnover, at a relatively short range.
That's why, there are different strokes.
The invite stands.

Jim
Old 08-27-2011, 11:13 PM

notenuftoys has a spectacular aura aboutnotenuftoys has a spectacular aura about

I have Sharkskin on my 8wt simply because I wanted line that would cast the farthest. I use that rod for big water, and sometimes being able to reach out that extra 10 feet makes a difference.

Personally, I wouldn't buy it for trout rods. The only thing I think you're getting from SS is distance. But that's my opinion, and I've been wrong once or twice.

Or so my wife tell me...