The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 09:39 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: SA's Sharkskin lines

I just bought an Orvis ZG Helios SW 10' 6-weight Tip Flex 9.5. Since my main fly-fishing is (unfortunately) tailwater for trout - meaning mostly nymphs with dry flies as often as I can luck out, I intended this rod for those situations when windy and/or when I needed maximum distance with a nymph rig (of course, actually landing a trout at distance with nymph fishing is a question in itself).

Anyway, needing a fly line for this 6-weight considering these needs, was wondering whether it was time to try a Sharkskin. I'd appreciate any line suggestions for this rod and these conditions, but in particular, any Sharkskin model that you all think would work best for this rod and these conditions. I use Pawl & Click reels, so Sharkskin's alleged noise wouldn't be a problem for me.

Also, early on, in addition to stripping abrasion on fingers, there was talk of rod guide wear from Sharkskin's rough texture. Since Sharkskin's been around for a while now, has anyone experienced guide wear using this line?

Thanks for any advice.

Neil
Old 10-09-2011, 10:01 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SA's Sharkskin lines

Hi Neil,
That ZG Helios in that size configuration works well with a WF7F SA Sharkskin Steelhead taper. It will help you flip indicator rigs with less effort. Keep in mind that the line has a long belly, so you may want to make sure that your reel has the extra capacity.

As far as guide wear, I have not noticed any. I have over 50 days usage with my Sharkskin GPX Taper and 25 or so with a previous Sharkskin Ultimate Trout Taper on my 5 weight. The guides still look clean.

Dennis
Old 10-09-2011, 10:20 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I am a huge fan of SS. But, I have a tip flex T3 6 wt. That does awesome with 7 wt. Windcutter2.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:24 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: SA's Sharkskin lines

Dennis,

Thanks for this. So you're thinking that a 7-weight Sharkskin steelhead taper would work better on a 6-weight ZG Helios 10' Tip Flex 9.5 for trout?

And also, BTW, Dennis, do you recall my question eons ago about a suitable line for an Orvis 3-wt. Full Flex 3.5 Superfine Trout Bum, and in particular, the Wulff Triangle Taper, in a sometimes-recommended 2-weight or normal 3-weight line?

Thanks,
Neil
Old 10-09-2011, 10:46 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
Thanks for this. So you're thinking that a 7-weight Sharkskin steelhead taper would work better on a 6-weight ZG Helios 10' Tip Flex 9.5 for trout?
Yep! A 6 weight has to be able to throw indicators, split shots, and a varying sizes of nymphs. The extra line mass of the 7 weight line allows the rod to get the extra load to make that happen.

Actually if you were doing a lot of close in nymphing, I would recommend using a WF8F. That extra-extra line mass would let you load your rod more with less line out. There are a lot of drift boat guides who are purposely overlining their 10' 6 weights by 2 line weights for that purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
And also, BTW, Dennis, do you recall my question eons ago about a suitable line for an Orvis 3-wt. Full Flex 3.5 Superfine Trout Bum, and in particular, the Wulff Triangle Taper, in a sometimes-recommended 2-weight or normal 3-weight line?
I'd stick with the normal 3 weight line. I had some time to play with the TT3F with my Sage SLT, a Scott Fibertouch, and a Redington CT. It works well with those actions ranging from slow to medium fast. It should be a good fit for your Orvis.

Dennis
Old 01-27-2014, 04:45 AM

august west is on a distinguished road

I am thinking of trying the Sharkskin Trout Taper for my Helios 9ft 4 weight tip flex rod. I fish 70 % nymphs ,20 % dries , and 10 % streamers. Would it be better to over line this set up to a 5 weight line considering the fast action rod ? Anyone have experience with a similar set up ?
Old 01-27-2014, 09:34 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by august west View Post
I am thinking of trying the Sharkskin Trout Taper for my Helios 9ft 4 weight tip flex rod. I fish 70 % nymphs ,20 % dries , and 10 % streamers. Would it be better to over line this set up to a 5 weight line considering the fast action rod ? Anyone have experience with a similar set up ?

I went with the GPX instead of Trout and noover lining. I don' t think you will like the Trout in a 4 wt on that rod. Maybe a 5 wt, but sure about a 4 wt G P X.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:23 PM

ontheflymn has a spectacular aura aboutontheflymn has a spectacular aura aboutontheflymn has a spectacular aura about

I've owned Sharkskin in several occasions. I preferred it for distance and punch, like when I want to toss streamers. The sound of the line zipping through your guides is noticeable and can be annoying. I sold it all off as it wasn't worth that much extra cash. Posters have commented that the line will shred your fingers. It does, especially after a day of stripping streamers. I resorted to some wraps of white athletic tape to remedy the problem.

In the end, my lines are mainly SA GPX Mastery or Rio Gold. The Gold is a great line for punching flies anywhere you have the ability to put them.

In short, I'm not sure it's worth it for the money. But that's just me.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:38 PM

I was given Gold. Tried it in several rods. It now sits on a spool not used. I should say, "I" didn't care for it. Selective Trout blows it away. But i am a SS fan. Love the sound, no more wear on my fingers than any other WET line, and ease of casting...worth it to me and all the newbies I have let try it. ;-). Different strokes, but i have it in all weights and prefered line.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:55 PM

noutdoorsmen94 is on a distinguished road

I have a sharkskin trout DT 3 WT cut in half on my 2 weight 7'6" and it is the nicest line iv had on it. the line pick up is so easy. roll casts a simple smooth and mending with a DT is like mending on a pond.
Joni likes this.