The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 06:01 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all
Default SA's Sharkskin lines

Ive never used any of the SAs sharkskin lines, my question is, if anyone has used them whats your option of them? And what are the differences from using them compared to other SA lines?

All the best.

Rick
Old 08-05-2011, 06:18 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: SA's Sharkskin lines

From what I've seen on the forum and elsewhere, the SA sharkskin lines are held in very high regard. I'm eyeing sharkskin line for when my budget takes me into that bracket, but for now its the budget lines for me!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-05-2011, 06:29 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

I know what you mean about price A.J. I just picked one up a 8wt wff salt taper for 52 from a eBay vender, still up there in bucks and I'm thirifty ( cheap ) and just wanted to ask the questions. I'm going to spool it up in the morning and give it a shot sunday morning if I can get a kitchen pass. Thanks for the reply.

Rick
Old 08-05-2011, 07:28 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Nice lines to cast if your deaf... the whistling annoys the heck out of me.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:47 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I have one each in 3,4,5,6 w lines. So lets say I favor them.
The sound doesn't bother me. Most of the time on streams or rivers, the sound is drowned out anyway. As easy and as far as it casts, you pay (or I pay) no attention to the sound. Works with graphite, 'glass and bamboo. My opinion is that it's a great line (best floating line I've owned) but not a line for everybody.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:53 AM

pond fishin is on a distinguished road

I don't own them but I've heard that you need some kind of protection on your hands when stripping it in. The texture of the coating is kinda rough on your hands.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:19 AM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

I have fished a Sharkskin and Mastery GPX Textured line back to back in a WF3. I could tell very little difference in sound, floating, shooting or presentation. The Sharkskin is more abrasive for stripping but that was the only difference, except price. I now have the GPX textured in 3, 4, 5 and 7 with no regrets.

Granted true comparison is over a couple seasons of heavy use to see which holds up better, stays cleaner, etc. but if I was still guiding I would recommend the Mastery GPX Textured to my clients.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:14 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the Mastery GPX Textured line Russ, I,ve wanted to pull the trigger on one but I'm slow and cheap. Went to high school just up the road from you in Humansville.

Rick
Old 08-06-2011, 04:12 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I too have Sharkskin in all weights. It shoots farther, last longer...worth every penny. I have not noticed any abrasion at all and I do use it a lot!
Again, I handed my rod loaded with Sharkskin to a total newbie after she had been taught on a rod loaded with a trout line. Her first cast, she noticed the difference. Easier to cast and farther cast. She liked the sound too....LOL

I have not tried the texture, but would definitely give it a try. I was told the GPX means 1/2 line heavier, if that is true, that could be the attraction. For me I prefer the GPX because it does load up quick and easy.
If you test the two, I would think they both need to be GPX or DT, or WF to be fair. You would think with all my lines I could actually say I fish both, but, in all honesty, I quit looking after I got my first Shark. I do have the GPX and the shark Trout, so that I can compare...LOL
Old 08-06-2011, 08:24 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by oarfish View Post
Thanks for the heads up on the Mastery GPX Textured line Russ, I,ve wanted to pull the trigger on one but I'm slow and cheap. Went to high school just up the road from you in Humansville.

Rick
Hey Rick-

Nice to talk with a neighbor! I think that they are both great lines, it is hard to wrong either way. That said, I just don't foresee say in a year or so "man, I should have purchased the Sharkskin". Maybe I'll be wrong, we will see. In the past 26+ years I have cast a lot of fly lines, some great- some I wanted to strip off my reel, toss to the ground and set on fire... As of right now I think SA may have shot themselves in the foot- I truly feel that the difference between the performance of the Textured and SS is so subtile that that the sales of the Texture "could" hurt the sales of the SS.

With regard to the GPX 1/2 weight heavier- I even put one on my soft action 3wt Winston and it really makes that rod come alive. In any case if you can do some test driving before you buy.