The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 01:19 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dry fly tippet type?

Your assessment of fluorocarbon is correct. There is gong to be a negative to every positive.

I too have proven time after time fishing exact same situations and gear, and my choice of fluoro. Even standing next to a fellow guide that uses mono. He was telling me that he did not feel it made a difference while I landed a fish, then another and another... again, it could be the confidence I have when using it. I just know it works for me.

As for the sinking study. I use ONLY P-Line. I placed a curl of my P-Line on the water...true, it took a few minutes to sink, and I am not sure about mono. The only comparison I can give is my furled leaders of both material.

I also agree with Fluoro being much stronger for the diameter size.
I think the brand makes a big difference also, plus making sure it is 100% fluoro and not 100% fluoro impregnated or coated, because there are these out there.

While at Henry's last year, I was using another top name brand. Using the usual 6 lb I use...BING break (and not at the knots), then again, then one more time and it got sent to the trash, I upped to an 8 lb thinking that was it...nope, same thing, and same thing on 10 lb. Went back to 6lb P-Line and didn't break at all no matter what, so, that could make testing a whole new ball game, don't you think?
Old 08-08-2011, 01:52 PM

wetboot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I haven't fished the Wood River in 20 years. Just thinking about those slow runs makes me want to go there today
Rip Tide, I was going to go yesterday, but at 4:45am it was pouring rain. Went back to bed until 8! I've heard good things about the Farmington, which should be near you then, right?
Old 08-08-2011, 01:57 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetboot View Post
Rip Tide, I was going to go yesterday, but at 4:45am it was pouring rain. Went back to bed until 8! I've heard good things about the Farmington, which should be near you then, right?
I live 3 miles from the RI state line.
The Farmington is about an hour and a half away
Old 08-08-2011, 02:09 PM

wetboot is on a distinguished road

So apparently I have stumbled onto a significant debate here. I don't have a complete set of each at the moment, just a mix of sizes and types, so I will be doing some involuntary experimentation next time I go out.

Another variable I thought of is fishing pressure/ spookiness. If I am fishing on busy waters (which in RI, it's likely) maybe flouro would give me an edge? Sounds like the differences could be less than I had thought, so maybe I'll save it for busier waters since it costs a small bundle.

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I live 3 miles from the RI state line.
The Farmington is about an hour and a half away
Just looked at the map- fail on the geography
Old 08-08-2011, 02:25 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
Well maybe someone can help me out here with the basis of my post above.

What I was told by several people at shops at sales reps is that the main advantage of flouro is the difference in amount of light it reflects compared to mono. I was told flouro absorbs more / refracts less light and therefore wont be as visible whether on top or below clear water.

I went fishing with a buddy and when we fished midstream ie deeper darker runs I actually caught more than him he was using all flouro I was using mono and we had the exact fly setups on. No I dont think mono made me catch more fish. However when we were working shallow banks and pools he had much more success than me. I attribute that possibly in some way to him running flouro in crystal clear water.

Like I said maybe I am wrong but that is where I base my theories on.
I think you misunderstood what you were told OR you were told the wrong information. You mention three properties of a material = reflection, absorption and refraction.

Reflection is the light that is bounced back and that is the basically the light spectrum that is bounced off of the surface. For an opaque object, it is the color of the object. For example, a red car looks red because it reflects back the red portion of the visible spectrum of light. The visual spectrum is composed of the colors ROY G BIV = Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet

Absorption is the the property of a material to absorb light without reflecting it or refracting it. For example, that same red car looks red because it absorbs the OY G BIV light and reflects the R. So absorption and reflection can be thought of as opposing properties.

You can see that both fluorocarbon and mono can have pigments added to change their absorptive and reflective properties.

The correct property to describe how fluorocarbon differs from nylon monofilament for fishing is refraction which is the bending of light. To bend light, a material has to be clear. It occurs because light undergoes a velocity change as it goes from one environment to another such as air to water, or air to monofilament, or air to fluorocarbon. This difference is called the refractive index (n). Water has a refractive index of 1.33. Therefore, the closer the refractive index of a material is to 1.33, the less it visible in water and fluorocarbon (n=1.42) is closer to 1.33 than mono (n=1.62) so fluorocarbon is less visible in water than mono.

Note: Fluorocabon must be underwater to be less visible than nylon monofilament.

Seaguar Community - Fishing Line Q&A

"Refractive Index, in this case, is a numerical value assigned to how light is bent when something extends from air to water. It can be demonstrated by placing a pencil in a clear glass of water. It looks like the pencil bends under the water. Air to Water has a refractive index of 1.33. Air to Fluorocarbon has a refractive index of 1.42. Air to Nylon has a refractive index of 1.62. This means that fluorocarbon refracts light closer to water, thus making it more difficult to see when under water."

---------- Post added at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
I also agree with Fluoro being much stronger for the diameter size.
I think the brand makes a big difference also, plus making sure it is 100% fluoro and not 100% fluoro impregnated or coated, because there are these out there.
I have found fluorocarbon to be slightly stronger than the same diameter of mono from the same vendor.

Rio Leaders

Other than tested breaking strength, there is abrasion resistance and fluorocarbon is harder than nylon and more abrasion resistant. Nylon monofilament absorbs water and gets weaker. Fluorocarbon does not an maintains it's breaking strength.

The abrasion resistance of fluorocarbon and gradual weakening of mono are probably the reasons that fluorocarbon can seem much stronger in practice.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 08-08-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:05 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Yeah science was not my strong suit Or as I tell my wife it isnt about the words I choose but what I mean

In essence Silver what you were saying is Flouro under water will be less visible to the fish. If that is correct then I feel better about running mono leader with Flouro tippet in clear water situations or for attaching dropper to dry.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:57 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post

In essence Silver what you were saying is Fluoro under water will be less visible to the fish. If that is correct then I feel better about running mono leader with Fluoro tippet in clear water situations or for attaching dropper to dry.
Yes, that is exactly correct. Your choice of clear water is important. Light is actually refracted twice and so the effect of the difference between N values is doubled.

Light is refracted when going from water into (1st refraction) the line and then refracted again when coming out of the line into (2nd refraction) water.

When connecting fluoro and mono together, I use a three turn surgeon's knot. I've had a two turn surgeon's knot and blood knots fail. I think the mono absorbs water and swells, and the fluoro cuts through the mono.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy