The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2011, 04:44 PM

wetboot is on a distinguished road
Default Dry fly tippet type?

Should I be using fluorocarbon tippet w/dry flies? I had read something somewhere about trout being able to see nylon and thought that maybe I should tie fluoro onto the end of a nylon tapered leader e.g. floating leader w/ tippet that sinks slightly to blend in w/ the water. Will this swamp my flies? I'd love to hear different takes on this. Thanks!
Old 08-07-2011, 08:19 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Dry fly tippet type?

The fact Flouro costs 3-4x what mono leader and tippet goes for here is how I handle that.

Unless the water is gin clear I use mono leader and tippet for the dry fly but will use flouro tippet on a dropper. If I am running a double nymph then I go mono leader to flouro on both nymphs

When the water is gin clear I user 9' mono leader and put 3' of flouro tippet on the end and still use flouro tippet for droppers.

If it is gin clear small pockets like late September type of stuff where the high mountain streams get real small and pockety then I will bite the bullet and go flouro the whole way in a 6 or even 7x.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:44 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Fish seeing your tippet is not nearly as important as the fish seeing the "drag".
Trout are used to seeing stuff on the water surface. It's natural.
What is not natural is a fly zipping along when the tippet get caught in the surface currents. Both currents you can see and "micro-currents" that you can't.
What's important in a dry fly tippet material is that it's supple enough that you can introduce enough slack with your cast to counter the drag.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:11 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Just my take, but I always use Fluoro. I like the fact it doesn't sit on top of the water when using dries.
A large percentage of catching fish is confidence, and I am so confident that fluorocarbon makes a difference, I see no reason to try anything else.

I will use a 5' to 6' furled leader and attach 3' or more in fluoro.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:50 AM

wetboot is on a distinguished road

This is great, thanks for the replies-

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
Unless the water is gin clear I use mono leader and tippet for the dry fly but will use flouro tippet on a dropper
Very interesting take on the water color. I hadn't considered that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
What's important in a dry fly tippet material is that it's supple enough that you can introduce enough slack with your cast to counter the drag.
Microcurrents! I am fishing the Wood River, and it's super slow and quiet. I am definitely not allowing for tippet slack- thanks for the pointer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
A large percentage of catching fish is confidence,
oh boy, do I need to work up to that
Old 08-08-2011, 09:32 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't fished the Wood River in 20 years. Just thinking about those slow runs makes me want to go there today
The headwaters aren't too far from my house, but it's just a small brook there and nothing like the "spring creek" it becomes below 165.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:13 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I use flouro, simply because when I switch from nymphs to indicators I don't feel like changing leaders. Also, I feel I can get away with a 5x flouro instead of a 6x mono.

Randy
Old 08-08-2011, 12:30 PM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Just my take, but I always use Fluoro. I like the fact it doesn't sit on top of the water when using dries.
A large percentage of catching fish is confidence, and I am so confident that fluorocarbon makes a difference, I see no reason to try anything else.

I will use a 5' to 6' furled leader and attach 3' or more in fluoro.
I don't want to belittle the opinions here. I've gone the whole route on flourocarbon. I had purchased tippet and spooled a few spin reels with various brands of flourocarbon, then I found a site called tackletour.com. A few years ago, they did a 2-part comparison that substantially debunked a number of the flourocarbon claims. They did a relatively scientific and unbiased comparison of flourocarbon lines using Trilene XL as a baseline.

I don't currently own any flouro tippet, and I only insist on it for saltwater/toothy fish.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:40 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

It is a mistake to think that fluorocarbon tippets used for dry flies will sink because it is slightly heavier than water. Tippets used for dry flies are chosen because they are relatively thin and fall gently with slack. Used in this manner, fluorocarbon usually will not sink but floats just like mono. When floating, fluorocarbon is surrounded by air and is just as visible as mono.

"Our testing reveals that most brands of fluorocarbon tippet material in 0X to 8X diameters are no better than nylon at breaking surface tension and sinking on their own. Larger diameter fluorocarbon materials do demonstrate a slightly better ability to break surface tension without the assistance of current or other external influences, but for practical fishing purposes fluorocarbon has little benefit over nylon on this measure."

Fluorocarbon vs. Nylon | Fly Fish America

You can even float a needle on water because of surface tension. Look at the video below which shows the effect of surface tension. I chose it because it also shows the effect of surfactants = SURFACe ACTive ageNTS. The soap is a surfactant which destroys the surface tension and allows the needle to sink.

Fly fishing leader degreasers contain a surfactant that will sink a leader to make it less visible. Here's a post I wrote on how to make your own,

http://www.southeastflyfishingforum....wn-t38654.html

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-08-2011, 01:03 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Well maybe someone can help me out here with the basis of my post above.

What I was told by several people at shops at sales reps is that the main advantage of flouro is the difference in amount of light it reflects compared to mono. I was told flouro absorbs more / refracts less light and therefore wont be as visible whether on top or below clear water.

I went fishing with a buddy and when we fished midstream ie deeper darker runs I actually caught more than him he was using all flouro I was using mono and we had the exact fly setups on. No I dont think mono made me catch more fish. However when we were working shallow banks and pools he had much more success than me. I attribute that possibly in some way to him running flouro in crystal clear water.

Like I said maybe I am wrong but that is where I base my theories on.