The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Lines (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/)
-   -   Leader to tippet loop to loop (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/178674-leader-tippet-loop-loop.html)

oarfish 09-01-2011 07:03 PM

Leader to tippet loop to loop

Id like to know your thoughts, pros or cons on using loop to loop connections from leader to tippet? At present I use a blood knot which is not a problem but the loop to loop would be easier and quicker. Thanks.

Rick

blackbear 09-01-2011 08:07 PM

Re: Leader to tippet loop to loop

Before I went to braided leaders I always tied a blood knot leader to tippet. I have a braided loop on my leaders now and always loop to loop...never had a problem if tied correctly. I fish with someone who also always ties a loop to loop with no issues.

caseywise 09-01-2011 08:24 PM

hi rick,
i too have switched to furled leaders, but before that i used a double surgeons knot.
the problem with a loop to loop connection, imo, is that it would create a
"hinge" effect. thus screwing up your casts.

casey

Rip Tide 09-01-2011 08:28 PM

I do loop2loop all the time Too easy not to.
Never, ever use a perfection loop on the tippet side however. Not strong enough, you'll pop it every time
Both the surgeon's loop and the non-slip mono loop work much better.
I never found "hinging" to be a problem if you only step down one or two tippet sizes

oarfish 09-02-2011 11:19 AM

Thanks all, I had just never heard of a loop to loop connection from leader to tippet before reading it on this site. My normal rig is just 8-10 lb mono to fly for my surf fishing, anyway all the best.

Rick

comeonavs 09-02-2011 12:11 PM

Fly Line to Amnesia = Nail Knot
Amnesia to Leader = Loop to Loop
Leader to tippett = Triple surgeons (thanks to Silver creek) used to do double surgeons and had a few break offs, none now with triple surgeons.:clap:

oarfish 09-02-2011 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comeonavs (Post 310928)
Fly Line to Amnesia = Nail Knot
Amnesia to Leader = Loop to Loop
Leader to tippett = Triple surgeons (thanks to Silver creek) used to do double surgeons and had a few break offs, none now with triple surgeons.:clap:

Never thought of using Amnesia there, I've been using that material for fly tying.

Rick

seajay 09-02-2011 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip Tide (Post 310612)
I do loop2loop all the time Too easy not to.
Never, ever use a perfection loop on the tippet side however. Not strong enough, you'll pop it every time
Both the surgeon's loop and the non-slip mono loop work much better.
I never found "hinging" to be a problem if you only step down one or two tippet sizes

Interesting observation. Is this just on lighter tippet say 5 to 7. Or on 5 and up?