The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2011, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: How much fly line can you cut off?

Hi texastroutbum,

There are a bunch of ways and I have used most of them over time. If you tie a nail knot right at the end of the fly line it gives a good base for a glue to adhere to and makes the knot stronger. I like to use Pliobond and apple a few coats.

If you use CA and cover the knot you have a big hard spot right on the end of the fly line. With CA I like to slide the last twelve inches or so of the fly line between my fingers pulling to the end of the fly line. Use some pressure and this will slide a very small amount of the fly line coating forward of the core. You only need like a 32nd of an inch gap or less. Take a pointed toothpick and fill that small gap with a thin super glue and that will do it. The glue will suck up into the braid and seal the tip.

Frank
Old 09-03-2011, 01:53 PM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Frank for the detailed directions.
I am going to use Zap agap and see what happens.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:03 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi texastroutbum,

There are a bunch of ways and I have used most of them over time. If you tie a nail knot right at the end of the fly line it gives a good base for a glue to adhere to and makes the knot stronger. I like to use Pliobond and apple a few coats.

If you use CA and cover the knot you have a big hard spot right on the end of the fly line. With CA I like to slide the last twelve inches or so of the fly line between my fingers pulling to the end of the fly line. Use some pressure and this will slide a very small amount of the fly line coating forward of the core. You only need like a 32nd of an inch gap or less. Take a pointed toothpick and fill that small gap with a thin super glue and that will do it. The glue will suck up into the braid and seal the tip.

Frank

This is why I use Loon UV Wader Repair glue. It's pliable and I can create a nice taper on either side of the knot so it goes though the guides easier. Oh, and curing it in seconds with a UV light is handy also.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:07 PM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about

Iíve been thinking about UV light stuff, and your comment makes me really thinking of getting one.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:36 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
This is why I use Loon UV Wader Repair glue. It's pliable and I can create a nice taper on either side of the knot so it goes though the guides easier. Oh, and curing it in seconds with a UV light is handy also.
Frank's recommended Pliobond is also flexible, although it takes longer to cure. I have used it for many years and had no problem with it. Even over decades it remains flexible, but of course still sealing the cut end of the fly line. I use it to coat other joints as well, such as backing to fly line, coating nail knots, etc.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:50 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
Frank's recommended Pliobond is also flexible, although it takes longer to cure. I have used it for many years and had no problem with it. Even over decades it remains flexible, but of course still sealing the cut end of the fly line. I use it to coat other joints as well, such as backing to fly line, coating nail knots, etc.
I know, I was agreeing with him but just throwing in another option with a UV cure twist.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:31 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
I know, I was agreeing with him but just throwing in another option with a UV cure twist.
Actually, Mudbug, I was thinking of following your advice, since I have some Loon Wader Repair on hand anyway. My thinking is that, unlike Pliobond, I wouldn't need to leave the fly line draped around the room while I allowed it to cure, a real positive to marital relations. Also, if I recall correctly, the Loon UV products will cure in a minute or so in direct sunlight as well - am I right on that?
Old 09-05-2011, 08:03 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
Also, if I recall correctly, the Loon UV products will cure in a minute or so in direct sunlight as well - am I right on that?
Yes. I use it frequently, applying it in dim light then taking it outside to cure. Doesn't take long.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Does the Loon UV wader repair stay flexible? I know Knot Sense dries hard like Superglue.

Frank
Old 09-05-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
Actually, Mudbug, I was thinking of following your advice, since I have some Loon Wader Repair on hand anyway. My thinking is that, unlike Pliobond, I wouldn't need to leave the fly line draped around the room while I allowed it to cure, a real positive to marital relations. Also, if I recall correctly, the Loon UV products will cure in a minute or so in direct sunlight as well - am I right on that?

Yes.

I believe the idea is that you take it with you and if you find you have a seam leaking or a small hole you can patch it creekside and in a minute or so the UV rays from the sun will cure it.

I just happened to have a cheap UV light I bought when dealing with a new puppy and I tried it and found it cured it in about 30 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Does the Loon UV wader repair stay flexible? I know Knot Sense dries hard like Superglue.

Frank
Yes, it stays flexible, it's made for repairing neoprene and breathable waders. If it wasn't flexible it would just crack and leak again.

Loon UV Wader Repair