The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2011, 08:04 AM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about
Default How much fly line can you cut off?

Oh well, after my preoccupation of trying to shoot 100 foot of fly line recently, which leads to reckless fly casting practices (or bushwhacking), I find that the welded loop section of my weight forward fly line was torn. I just cut off that section (about an inch) and add a mono line using nail knot. Should any thing happen to the shoot head, I have to probably cut off more, how long can I cut off and still use the fly line?

P.S. Do not ask me if I am shooting anywhere close to 100 foot.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:10 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much fly line can you cut off?

Most lines have at least 5" of tip before you hit the taper.
If you cut back the taper, you can still use the line only it will behave more like a bass or SW line
Old 09-02-2011, 08:16 AM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about

Rip, many thanks.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi texastroutbum,

Rip is right on as usual. Do make sure you seal the tip of the fly line where you cut it off.

Frank
Old 09-02-2011, 06:58 PM

Frank,

What is the best way to seal up the fly line?
Old 09-02-2011, 08:03 PM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

I don't know what most others use,I have used Fly Tying Head Cement,SuperGlue,a product similiar to your Zapagap,Nail Polish,be careful & use it all very spareingly by just wiping it on.
Brian.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:53 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

what happens if you dont seal the tip? I cut a few nailknots off before I put the slip on loop on the line, but I didnt seal it.. I can try getting a drop of CA in there..
Old 09-02-2011, 11:04 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbphotos54 View Post
what happens if you dont seal the tip? I cut a few nailknots off before I put the slip on loop on the line, but I didnt seal it.. I can try getting a drop of CA in there..

It will wick water up inside and if it's a floater it will quit floating at the tip and further back as it sucks up more water.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:08 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastroutbum View Post
Frank,

What is the best way to seal up the fly line?
i use zap a gap. just a dab and a good overnight cure.

casey

ARFE
Old 09-02-2011, 11:09 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

ill hit it with ca, should put that to a stop. thanks. I was thinking of getting a sink tip line tho..