The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2011, 08:10 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default stillwater techniques for sinking and sinktip

As some of you know, I have recently become a fan of sinking lines on stillwater. I have a type IV graduated density full sinking line I fish in the local lakes, and when I tube, one rod is rigged with the type IV and the other with a floating line.

I and my buddy also both have a type I sinktip, but I have not fished it yet as I don't quite how to rig and fish it effectively.

So here are my questions.
1. when fishing a full sink line, you count it down, and then start the strip - does the line continue to sink as your stripping in or does it stay in the zone? How much does stripping speed affect sink rate?

2. Sink tips, type I, similar question, I am thinking the speed of the strip affects the depth of the presentation. but if you are stripping slow with say a 15 foot Type I, the deepest it would go is 15 feet right? Or am I missing something?

3. If you wanted to fish a specific zone, say 8 or 10 feet, and keep the fly at that depth for most of the strip, how would you do that? is it better to fish an indicator and long leader than to fish a sinking line or sink tip line?

4. One last question, if fishing a 15 foot sinktip, do you cut up an old fly line to get to just the running line, put a loop in it, and then add the sink tip or do you just loop it to your floating fly line?

Thanks in advance.

D
Old 09-08-2011, 06:52 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: stillwater techniques for sinking and sinktip

Anyone?

My experience leads me to believe that with the faster lines, type IV and faster, that you either need to be moving (trolling) or stripping at a pretty good pace to keep the line from hitting bottom. I have not fished an intermediate yet, but, will probably give it a try next time out with my add-on sink tip.

I know it sounds kind of basic, however I am not familiar with how close to neutral bouyant some of these lines are and was hoping someone could shed some light....

Thanks

d
Old 09-09-2011, 10:53 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

D, this could be the hardest thing to dial in fishing.
A slow sink tip will sink to a depth that it's allowed by the floating running line.
As soon as you start finning, rowing, or fast stripping it will "plane-up" like a water skier.
Same is true for a full sink if you could fin or row fast enough.
So the two variables, are movement/weight..
To confuse it further you can use a floating fly, or a heavily weighted one.
Since many fish stay in a thermocline at a certain depth, getting this picture of where your fly is in the water column, is tough but all important!
I try to simplify things by finning the same speed with different lines first, then, adjust speed a little to go shallower/deeper.
I believe in taking the game to them...
But, have learned over time, that fish don't look down much.
It is pretty easy to fish below them and get no love for your troubles.
Years ago I learned, if I get a grab just after my fly lands on the water, and then right as I lift it near me to cast again, mostly I'm below them.
Hang in there, and you'll figure it out. A fish finder at least tells you how deep they are.
Thats one half of the problem.
Hope this helps....
Oh, and I recommend moving in a series of s curves, rather than dragging a fly through water you just were in. Change the retrieve too, nothing natural moves the same all the time, many fishermen are a bit too repetitive in their retrieve. Sell it!
I like a tip twitch, then let it fall. Strip/twitch/fall. Repeate.....
They often take it on the fall, be ready. At the risk of being repetetive myself....keep the rod tip in the water and, strip set for best results. Gun fighter fast...
We want some big fish pics from ya.
PM if needed...

Jim

Last edited by Bigfly; 09-09-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:41 AM

Thanks Jim,
your response is as I kind of expected, and what I had experienced i.e. speed affecting plane. I have also recently noticed that when I slow way down on the retrieve I am getting more action. One of those "Duh" moments if you know what I mean.

You wouldn't happen to have a recommendation on using a sink tip line would you? should I just loop it to a floater or loop it to a cut down section of just running line? I am thinking option two would be hard to cast, but then again, so might option one.

d
Old 09-10-2011, 11:01 AM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

I use density compensated full sink lines most of the time, intermediate though type 6, or an integrated shooting head. I have friends that use sink tips and they prefer either 24 or 30 foot tips and are partial to the Teeny lines. If you don't want a full sinker I would go with an interchangeable shooting head system, more bang for the buck. You can also check out sinking leaders. milt.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:30 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future

I'm with milt on the DC lines.
As far as adding tips, sinking leaders and casting, you don't have to cast too much if just towing buggers etc.....
Just get it on the water and fin away, stripping out line to about 60 ft..
(I can almost see Mojo shuddering..)
But, if targeting shore structure, then go for a more dedicated line.
As always I'll plug Rio DC 300 gr. Also use a streamer line 125 gr. I think.
And a clear camo line for very near surface.
Bout all I need...fin fast, fin slow!

Jim

PS. I once jigged vertically with my 300gr. to 18-20ft. (quite successfully I might add), but, don't tell anyone. Talk about a duh moment.

Last edited by Bigfly; 09-11-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:28 AM

Thanks guys, I have a density compensated type IV that I have been using, but not an intermediate yet. I do have a 15 foot, intermediate sink tip for river fishing I was thinking of trying out, hence the questions above.

A lot of folks swear by the intermediate on our local lakes, but, I have been doing pretty well, and better then some, with theType IV.

d
Old 09-11-2011, 01:31 PM

If the weather is funny, maybe waters have some waves, or morn/evening time with longer shadows, I'll fish shallow, or mid water.
But I find bigger fish, here, by going deep during the day.
I like to target the size fish that is piscivorous, not insectivorous.
One of my favorite styles with a sink tip, is casting towards a dam face, and retrieving at a rate my sinking fly follows the conture of the slope.
Works well for smallies too.

jim

Last edited by Bigfly; 09-11-2011 at 01:55 PM.