The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2010, 09:42 PM

rjackh is on a distinguished road
Default 5 wt suggestions

just got a 9' 4 pc sage flight in 5 wt with a ross evolution LT #2. im gonna use this for most of my fw application- panfish, bass, carp etc. might take it in the salt on real calm days or under lights at night. any suggestions on a line that will suit most purposes right off the bat? im ok with getting another spool to be more versatile, i was hoping to get a wf floating line for now. thanks
Old 06-21-2010, 11:39 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 wt suggestions

I've been using Scientific Anglers GPX line on my Sage Z-Axis, and haven't wanted anything since. It throws dries, streamers, hair bugs, and does it all equally well. It floats nicely, and has held up very well. My wife can often be seen standing on her fly line, and she's been using the same line for over a year. My line gets fished much more, and I have over a year of fishing on one GPX 4wt line. I fish everyday possible, and while the line has begun to show some signs of wear (dirt in minutes cracks after fishing murky water), it casts and floats as well as the day I bought it. I did buy two new 4wt GPX lines a few weeks ago, but decided that there's no reason to change this one out yet. While I have not cast a Flight, it's been reported on this forum that the rod is not too much different than the Z-Axis in terms of action.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:40 PM

rjackh is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 5 wt suggestions

i got the sa mastery series gpx, hope it casts well. i was torn between the gpx and the rio grande. basically the exact same line, the guy at the store recommended the sa first and so did you so i went with that.