Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2010, 06:17 PM

rjackh is on a distinguished road
Default cleaning line

i have this

Scientific Anglers(TM) Fly Line Dressing with Pad - Accessories

i was told to run the line through to corse side to remove grime, then put some dressing on a rag and run the line back through that to lubricate. what is the foam side of the pad used for? can i put dressing on it instead of a rag?
Old 06-23-2010, 08:44 PM

flatslandercp has a spectacular aura aboutflatslandercp has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: cleaning line

Great product.

Simple - wash your line in the sink, let it dry, put some dressing on the foam side, fold it over your line and reel it in from the drying pile. Refresh it at about 30 feet from the end just to make sure you get the part you fish most well dressed.

Craig
Old 06-26-2010, 10:47 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackh View Post
i have this

i was told to run the line through to corse side to remove grime, then put some dressing on a rag and run the line back through that to lubricate. what is the foam side of the pad used for? can i put dressing on it instead of a rag?
I'm not sure on Rio's recommendations but do not use this system on Cortland lines. The pad is far to abrasive and the dressing actually clogs the microscopic pores and inhibits floatation. A soft chamois with a little soapy water will work just fine on all self-lubricating lines. I would stay away on anything but SA lines personally.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:51 AM

cketh is on a distinguished road

I strip the whole line into a bucket of warm soapy water. Swish it around a little (but not enough to tangle it) and let it sit for 10 or 15 minutes. Then I get a washcloth wet and leave it fairly wet with warm water and hold it with my toes and retrieve the line through it. I rinse the washcloth out and wring it out pretty dry and then strip the line back off the reel onto the floor and pull it back through the washcloth again.

-from a sign in my Great-grandfather's general store
Old 06-27-2010, 03:00 PM

ssjchar is on a distinguished road

so is this stuff only for floating lines? i bought some last year and have been using it only with my floating line and not my sinking line because i dont want to make that float any more, but if it lets it shoot easier without floating i would like that.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:43 PM

cketh is on a distinguished road

Cleaning the way I do applies to any and every type of line.

-from a sign in my Great-grandfather's general store
Old 07-18-2010, 09:03 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackh View Post
i have this

This is one heck of a system. The grey side of the pad is a micro-abrasive that brings a new finish to the surface. It makes the finishes on SA lines with AST and Rio lines with their Agent X/XS coatings close to new again.
For very skanky and/or stained lines I use a mild soap (not detergent or dish 'soap') like Ivory bar soap and lay the line out on the floor while walking around a room. This prevents the tangles I always seemed to get when soaking it in a sink. I then walk the length of the line several times while wiping it length-wise with a soapy, wet wash cloth. I do this until the dirt streaks no longer appear then follow up with a rinse using clean water on a wash cloth. That preps the line for a dressing and keeps the dressing from trapping funk under it.
I never thought about using the brown, spongy side of the SA pads for the line dressing. My thoughts are that the dressing might soak through and somehow hamper the effectiveness of the abrasive side. The foam could be to prevent burning your hands as, I've learned the hard way, running the line through the grey side can indeed generate a lot of heat.