The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 10:32 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: lost 8 inches off tip of fly line ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
I usually weld on a new loop so it seals up again. If you don't the tip will eventually take in water and go subsurface.
I used to think that until I talked to the late Leon Chandler of Cortland. I met him on the Missouri River where he used to spend his summers after he retired.

He said that Cortland did experiments on how much water did wick into the fly line core. Even when the tip was submerged for days, water seeped in only an inch or two. He said there was no need to seal the end of the fly line but I still use Pliobond.

I use it NOT to seal the end of the line but to make a smooth transition over the nail knot so that it does not catch on the guides. As a result the end of the fly line is also sealed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Here is a pretty good link for welding a loop. I will warn you that some of my fishing buddies swear against doing this but I haven't had one fail yet.
How to weld a loop onto a shooting head - YouTube
Here's the web original link where this method was explained.

Fliegenfischer - Forum - Gerätetest - Sepp Fuchs Loop und Fly Line Repair Kit 1

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 10-04-2011, 02:19 PM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice
Default Re: lost 8 inches off tip of fly line ?

piched the line in reel putting the spool back on gashed and nicked it bad i cut it and nail notted a piece of amnesia then put a perfection loop in amnesia will loosing that length make any difference that i will notice