The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2010, 06:31 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: did i just ruin my new gpx line?

Hey Mojo, I forgot the link. Thanks for the heads up.

Frank

Here is the thread that has a video on how to thread wrap a fly line.

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 06-28-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackh View Post
is the knot really that big? what about using a braided mono leader? im going to the guad tomorrow so id like to figure something out soon.
Yes.
A braided mono leader does no good without a loop to attach it to.

I'm recommending going with a butt section of 30# mono nail knotted to your line after you snip it back a bit.

Go see Tiffany at Gruene Outfitters and she'll get you set up. You'll be glad you did.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:33 AM

rjackh is on a distinguished road

ok so nail knot on a foot or so of 30 lb mono with perfection loop on the end. loop to loop this with my leader until the braided loop comes in the mail, then switch to the braided loop?
Old 06-25-2010, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackh View Post
ok so nail knot on a foot or so of 30 lb mono with perfection loop on the end. loop to loop this with my leader until the braided loop comes in the mail, then switch to the braided loop?
Do the nail knotted and perf looped section and just leave it. With a properly tied nail knot, I trust it much more than the braided loop. Before you trim the tag end of the nail knot, pull it down tight using hemos (clamp on the end, then wrap around the jaws for best grip) on the tag and a screwdriver shaft through the perfection loop as a handle.

I still say you should swing by Gruene though- Fly Fish Chick Blog Archive Our Lady of The Guadalupe

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:57 PM

i need to put some sallys or head cement on the end of the snipped line right? i forgot to before i fished sat and by the end of the day the tip of my floating line was wasn't floating anymore... NOW did i ruin it? lol
Old 06-27-2010, 11:04 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

It's a wise idea to seal the end, and I should have mentioned that. Did you
form a new loop, or just nail knot a leader to the line? It's possible that a new
loop could be heavy enough to pull the tip down, especially with a streamer,
or other wet fly. Dirt collects on lines, and will definitely cause a tip to sink.
Use a wet white paper towel, cloth, or even toilet paper, and run the tip through it. If you get a bunch of gunk showing up on the towel, it could be a
dirty line dragging it under.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:56 AM

nail knotted a few inches of mono with a perfection loop on the end. loop to looped that with my leader and was throwing a size 6 bugger. ill check when i clean my line tonight but i think it was just wicking up some water. the water i was fishing in was crystal clear, not a lot of moss or dirt in the water.

if it was from wicking up water, do i need to trim another few inches off the end of the line or just let it dry a few days and seal the tip? i was gonna fish tomorrow morning, can i just seal the tip now and be ok tomorrow morning?
Old 06-28-2010, 10:12 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

This is the only pic I have on hand of the local stream:

Click the image to open in full size.

The stream's water is absolutely the clearest I've ever seen, and you could see a the grain of a tiny peeble in water several feet deep. It is also the stream that causes the most gunk to collect on my line.....lots. I'm always amazed at how many times I need to wipe the line to get it clean after fishing there, and I fish there quite a bit. It's possible that you had water wick into the core, but: 1) I don't know how long it takes to wick water along a line. 2) The nail knot should have compressed the line, and might slow any wicking on a single trip. 3)People have used un-sealed tips for quite some time, and the tip still float.

Note: If I don't clean the line right after fishing (rare), it could take a few wipes before the gunk starts coming off.

P.S. The tip on the GPX line is on 6": http://buy.scientificanglers.com/lin...-fly-line.html
It's still workable, but you don't want to cut to far into the front taper.

PPS: The "Dry Tip" of the SA lines is supposed to be due to microballons, and I don't know how much water they would absorb (if any at all). I've called
SA in the past, and you can get a tech on the line quickly. I actually spoke with the guy in charge of line production once. I had a spot on a new GPX line that
had very little coating, and he sent a new line to me that afternoon.

Last edited by FrankB2; 06-28-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:05 PM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post

P.S. The tip on the GPX line is on 6": Mastery Series GPX Fly Line
It's still workable, but you don't want to cut to far into the front taper.
Let's talk about that. I have lost the better part of the 8ft front taper to my GPX 8wt. (Please, don't ask... ). How will that effect its performance? For now, all I plan to be doing is throwing heavy bass bugs with it.

Thanks for any insight.

Sep
Old 07-13-2010, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Sep,

If you have lost 8' from the front of your 8wt GPX you have eliminated just about all of your front taper. This will effect the dynamics of your fly line unrolling and passing energy down the line and into your leader. The diameter of the new line tip is quite large now and will be hard to make a soft cast. I would use leaders with as large of a butt diameter that you can find. For Bass fishing you may be OK because commotion on the water sometimes gets their attention. I would be interested in hearing how it works for you.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.

8wt Tip = 0.5' Front Taper = 8.0' Belly = 29.0' Rear Taper = 7.0' Running Line = 51.0' Head = 44.0' Total = 95.0'