The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2010, 03:11 PM

rjackh is on a distinguished road
Default did i just ruin my new gpx line?

i went out to practice casting with my brand new 5wt setup. when i was done i noticed i had tied a wind knot at the very end of my line right before the loop in the fly line. part of the line split at the knot. did it happen in my line because i didn't have a leader or anything on the end? is my line ruined? could i just snip the line behind the crack, then tie i double overhand loop knot to replace the loop?

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:29 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: did i just ruin my new gpx line?

I guess you now know not to cast without a leader on.

Your line is not ruined, but you will have to cut it back to the damaged spot....no big deal.
Then follow the suggestions in the thread below (Newbie Question)
....and no.... tying an overhand loop in the line would not be a good idea
Old 06-24-2010, 03:52 PM

ok so trim behind the bad spot then tie a perfection loop? sounds easy enough

aomeone on another forum offered to send me a braided mono loop connector. whats this?
Old 06-24-2010, 04:15 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

No.....if you tie a knot in your line, you're going to have trouble with it passing through the guides.
After you cut off the damaged section, you're going to want to;
a) nail knot your leader directly to the line
b) nail knot a short mono butt section with a perfection loop to the line
c) nail knot a factory braided loop to the line.
d) double the line over and double nail knot it.

cover the nail knots with Goop or Plyobond

There are other ways as well that you'll find when reading other threads on this common issue
Old 06-24-2010, 06:49 PM

ppl are telling me to not use a perfection loop because ill have trouble getting it through the guides... is the knot really that big? what about using a braided mono leader? im going to the guad tomorrow so id like to figure something out soon.

i think i might just nail knot my leader to my line. only thing is when i eventually change leaders ill lose a little bit of fly line each time...
Old 06-24-2010, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi rjackh,

It looks like just the jacket of the line was injured. You can repair it with not too much work.

1. Clean the line at the break with a solvent just 1/4 inch on each side of the break. Alcohol and a Q Tip will do the job.

2. You need a good flexible glue like Pliobond. Take a tooth pick and put just a little in the break and then lay the line flat while the glue dries. When you lay it flat the break should close with the Pliobond on the inside. If you get any on the outside of the line just wipe it clean.

3. Take a bobbin and start at one side of the break (remember you cleaned the line for a 1/4 inch on each side of the break) and wrap the area several times the full 1/2 inch space. Finish the wrap like you do a rod wrap.

4. You now have the break completely covered with thread. Cover the thread wrap with Pliobond and let dry. You need to reapply the Pliobond until the splice is saturated and covered nicely with Pliobond.

Go to this thread and scan down to the video. It will show you have to whip your break and finish it.

Frank

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 06-25-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:05 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I'm with Frank. Frank would use Pliobond, I'd use Aquaseal just to be difficult.

BTW, Frank, what video?
Old 06-24-2010, 08:47 PM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

i just use a surgeon loop in the end of my fly line. its a little large, but its not that hard to pull through.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:58 PM

Fly Fishing Knots, Line-to-Leader Connections - MidCurrent

"Take the end of the fly line and make a small loop, about 1/3 inch or so — the smaller the better. Then secure the loop either by serving it with fly-tying thread, or better yet, secure with a six- or seven-turn nail knot using 10- or 12-pound-test monofilament. When you complete the nail knot, cut off both ends of the mono, leaving just the knot to secure the loop. On larger fly lines, say 10-weight or heavier, some anglers use two small nail knots to secure the loop. Even with two nail knots, the loop connection is still very small."

i like this idea the best so far. make a loop with the fly line, nail knot it tight with mono. when i need to change leaders i will not have to tie any new knot or lose any fly line in the process. sound good?

---------- Post added at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecofly
Instead of nail knotting each leader to fly line, nail knot a leader's butt section, a few inches of it, and then turn that into a loop. then, loop to loop leader to your butt section loop.
someone on another forum told me this. sounds like it would work perfectly, i think i might try this. ill have a loop so changing leaders will not involve tying extra knots and losing fly line. the loop in the mono with be streamlined enough to run through the guides easily. right?
Old 06-24-2010, 11:05 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Snipping off that section and making a new loop will work. I'd shoot for my
than 1/3", however. Here's a pic of a line I loop I made months ago, and it
has held perfectly since:

I whipped on two sections of tying thread, and coated lightly with Loctite's
equivalent of Aquaseal. I only covered the thread with the flexible (most be
flexible), so that the section of line doesn't become stiff.