The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2011, 07:55 PM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough
Default Switch Fly Line, Regular Fly Line, Grains...I'm Lost

Ok, please help me understand:

1. I know that the grains of a fly line are the weight of the first 30 ft. In a single handed rod, a 7wt should be 185 grains. When I look at a 7wt switch rod it should be about 500 grains. According to the AFTMA standards, 185 grains is correct, so what is going on?

2. A normal fly line is about 90 ft. Is a fly line for a switch rod the same length or is the fact that all the weight is up front force the line to be shorter?

3. Can a single handed 9'6" 7wt use a line designed for a 7wt switch rod?

My brain is beginning to explode

Lee
Old 10-15-2011, 08:27 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Switch Fly Line, Regular Fly Line, Grains...I'm Lost

Yeah its pretty screwy! As a general rule of thumb a 7wt switch will take a 9wt single handed line. Typically the lines for switches the head length is 1.5 to 2.5 times depending on who you talk to. It can really get confusing after a while cause there are casting styles to factor in, the use of sink tips or poly leaders, the size of fly. If I were you I would get intouch with Steve Godshall at Meiser Fly Rods tell him what you have and how you intend to use it and he can make a line for you or steer you in the right direction. Don't worry his custom lines coast the same as an off the self product.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:11 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Before you get into the nitty gritty of switch rods, you need to figure out how you want to cast the rod. There are overhead and roll cast single handed styles. There are Skagit and Scandi two handed styles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalensdad View Post
1. I know that the grains of a fly line are the weight of the first 30 ft. In a single handed rod, a 7wt should be 185 grains. When I look at a 7wt switch rod it should be about 500 grains. According to the AFTMA standards, 185 grains is correct, so what is going on?
Rather than trying to pull your hair out, just accept that single handed and two handed rods use different standards. If you want to try to make some sense to it, here you go.

Quote:
2. A normal fly line is about 90 ft. Is a fly line for a switch rod the same length or is the fact that all the weight is up front force the line to be shorter?
Generally the lines will be the same length or longer depending on how the rod will be used. A nymphing line used on a switch rod can be from 90 to 100 feet. A Skagit setup can have an 80 to 100 foot running line, 22 foot head, and a 10 foot tip plus leader.

Quote:
3. Can a single handed 9'6" 7wt use a line designed for a 7wt switch rod?
Most likely not.

Dennis
Old 10-16-2011, 06:26 AM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Dennis.

The link was really helpful. I was looking at a way to spey cast with my 9'6" single handed rod up on the Salmon River here in NY. After I posted I spent the next 2 hours scouring the internet and it looks like that I have some alternatives. I could get a line designed for the purpose (Royal Wulff Ambush) or I could use a Spey head (RIO AFS) and a running line. The Ambush line looks like the easier of the 2 options since it is created for the weight of your rod, i.e. 7wt for 7 wt. However it is only 266 grain. I was thinking I might want to go up to 300 grains as a minimum to get a better load. I was thinking of using the 4/5 or 5/6 AFS shooting head.

What do you think?

Ambush® Fly Line | Royal Wulff Products

AFS Shooting Head Fly Line | Rio

Lee
Old 10-16-2011, 10:02 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Thanks Dennis.

The link was really helpful. I was looking at a way to spey cast with my 9'6" single handed rod up on the Salmon River here in NY. After I posted I spent the next 2 hours scouring the internet and it looks like that I have some alternatives. I could get a line designed for the purpose (Royal Wulff Ambush) or I could use a Spey head (RIO AFS) and a running line. The Ambush line looks like the easier of the 2 options since it is created for the weight of your rod, i.e. 7wt for 7 wt. However it is only 266 grain. I was thinking I might want to go up to 300 grains as a minimum to get a better load. I was thinking of using the 4/5 or 5/6 AFS shooting head.

What do you think?

Ambush® Fly Line | Royal Wulff Products

AFS Shooting Head Fly Line | Rio

Lee
From WT's advice I checked out Meiser's site (again) and found this R. B. Meiser Fly Rods - What Is A Grain Window?