The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2011, 02:15 PM

swampdonkey has a spectacular aura aboutswampdonkey has a spectacular aura about
Default Old line?

Looking to replace a couple of my older lines and thanks to input from past forums I think I'm going to give the Allen Lines a shot. Being a little of a recycling freak and seeing the old flies thread I was wondering of any use of an old line?
Old 10-16-2011, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old line?

You can use an old line as backing...or if you fish with dt keep half of the old line on the reel and only add half of the new one
Old 10-16-2011, 08:30 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

first, let me say that the the allen lines are great.
i have a wf3f and a wf4f and love them both.
as far as recycling old line.....shoelaces

casey

ARFE
Old 10-17-2011, 07:28 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

When I replace my next old line I am going to cut off the weighted portion add a loop and put on a 15 foot clear intermediate sink tip for still water fishing. This will not be quite as good as having a uniform sink line, but, should work fine for fish that are hanging out in the upper 6 foot of water.

You could also save that line and use it as practice line for casting out on the street in front of the house or in my case for teaching my dad and son how to cast.

I like the shoelaces reply though, put a smile on my face when I read it - good one casey.

d
Old 10-17-2011, 08:29 AM

swampdonkey has a spectacular aura aboutswampdonkey has a spectacular aura about

Good tips....especially like the the sink tip idea. As well as the shoe laces of course. I might start rocking dress shoes with neon green WF4F laces.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Your wife can use it to hang out the washing
Old 10-17-2011, 04:08 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have an old line that I use when playing with the cats.
I tie up a big ol' bob fly about the size of a small bird of reject saddle hackle and bucktail and cast for kittys. They love it and come running when they see the fly rod.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:08 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

My mom took a fly line out of my garbage can, so she could use it with her tomato plants.

Dennis
Old 10-17-2011, 11:23 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

I like the sinking line idea. However, I have tied tomatoes with my old one, and used it as clothes line while camping