The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2011, 02:49 PM

rapman is on a distinguished road
Default intermediate sink recommendations

Looking for an intermediate sinking line (sink-tip?) to go with my fast action 7 wt. rod. Any recommendations? Will be used mostly for nymphing and streamers in moderate to slow-moving or still waters. Some of the streamers will be large and/or weighted and will be often have to punch through the wind.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:52 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: intermediate sink recommendations

Go with a Cortland Precision Camo or a Rio Camolux line. If your rod is truly fast, upline to a WF8I. Both of these lines are full sinking lines.

If you want more punch in the wind, choose a 250 grain intermediate shooting head with an intermediate running line.

Denny
Old 10-25-2011, 09:32 PM

iciclecreek will become famous soon enoughiciclecreek will become famous soon enough

Rio streamertip DC type 3. I mostly fishing with the type 6 for nymphing for steelhead in my area with a sinking rate of 6-7 ips. Although this only for single handed rods.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:46 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Go with a Cortland Precision Camo or a Rio Camolux line. If your rod is truly fast, upline to a WF8I. Both of these lines are full sinking lines.

If you want more punch in the wind, choose a 250 grain intermediate shooting head with an intermediate running line.

Denny
I have the Cortland Precision Camo and primarily use it on stillwater, but really love that line. All my other lines are Rio lines so I'm guessing the Camolux would be a fine choice also as Dennis has recommended.

Larry

Old 11-16-2011, 06:21 PM

rapman is on a distinguished road

I've decided to go with Rio Camolux. Now, for any folks familiar with this line and/or TFO BVK rods - should I overline to a wf8 or stick with a wf7 line. I use a Rio Grand wf7f (half-weight heavy) on this rod and am happy with the performance.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:50 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Due to the payload that you intend to throw, I would upline the BVK.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:19 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Rio has a new intermediate line out called Hover. 1" per second is the sinking rate. That's sloooow.
I'd like to try some this next year. Airflo has some slow inter too with their Slow Glass ( think it's just in the UK, so you'd have to get it from there).
Old 11-23-2011, 03:00 PM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice

I got a Redington 9'6 7 wt and this line Scientific Anglers Wet Tip Express Sink Tip Fly line : Fishwest Online Fly Shop

In 200 grain. It goes reel deep and good quality. For large trout and light steelis and salmon, it realy good. I only fish with streamer. In 5 to 7' fishing, it is the best; for moderate and fast water.
It have a 24' sink tip.