The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2011, 08:24 PM

iciclecreek will become famous soon enoughiciclecreek will become famous soon enough
Default Sink tip with a indicator?

Hey, so i just started steelhead fishing with a fly rod. I went out with a guide and caught 2 wild steelies. His rig he gave me was a sink tip line, about a 9-10 foot leader with a thingamabobber (adjusting to the depth of the pool), and a tandom rig with a nymph first and a plastic bead (salmon roe) trailer. Even the guy at my local fishing shop recomended sink tip when nymphing.

Now i understand a sink tip would be useful when just plain nymphing with no indicator. I feel really dumb buying some $70 rio sinktip when i will be using a indicator. first it slows down setting the hook ( not to much of a bad thing, you want the fish to take it). second it is point less with a indicator.

Am i wrong?
Old 10-27-2011, 08:27 PM

iciclecreek will become famous soon enoughiciclecreek will become famous soon enough
Default sinktip with a indicator?

Hey, so i just started steelhead fishing with a fly rod. I went out with a guide and caught 2 wild steelies. His rig he gave me was a sink tip line, about a 9-10 foot leader with a thingamabobber (adjusting to the depth of the pool), and a tandom rig with a nymph first and a plastic bead (salmon roe) trailer. Even the guy at my local fishing shop recomended sink tip when nymphing.

Now i understand a sink tip would be useful when just plain nymphing with no indicator. I feel really dumb buying some $70 rio sinktip when i will be using a indicator and its 14 ft tip 7-8 IPS sink rate. first it slows down setting the hook ( not to much of a bad thing, you want the fish to take it). second it is point less with a indicator.

Am i wrong?
Old 10-27-2011, 11:58 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Sink tip with a indicator?

I don't think a sink tip line set up as suggested with an indicator/nymph rig would work for me.

Last edited by mikel; 10-28-2011 at 12:57 AM.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:45 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: sinktip with a indicator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclecreek View Post

Now i understand a sink tip would be useful when just plain nymphing with no indicator. I feel really dumb buying some $70 rio sinktip when i will be using a indicator and its 14 ft tip 7-8 IPS sink rate. first it slows down setting the hook ( not to much of a bad thing, you want the fish to take it). second it is point less with a indicator.

Am i wrong?
I'm with you on this one. An indicator is gonna make you fly ride higher in the water and for the most part negates the use of the sink tip.

The only way to get round the 'bobber is to used heavily weighted flies that will sink regardless of the sink tip.

I would imagine if you're casting a heavy rod spey style then the sink tip will help throw the line, other than that i cant see the point of the 'bobber and the sink tip

Addicted To Vise
Old 10-28-2011, 10:05 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I can see someone making an Extranormal video with this topic.

Dennis
Old 10-28-2011, 10:09 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
I can see someone making an Extranormal video with this topic.

Dennis
Get on it there Dennis....sounds like a great idea

Addicted To Vise
Old 10-28-2011, 11:27 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

sounds kinda stupid to fish a sink tip with a indicator. for 1 a sink tip is made to get the leader (2-4' normally) not 9-10 foot down along with the fly. Anything longer and the fly is going to rise with the current unless it is heavily weighted.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 10-28-2011, 03:44 PM

thenextlevel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sink tip with a indicator?

I can't understand why a guide would give you a sink tip line with an indicator. That doesn't make any sense to me. But then again I have never fished for Steelhead, so maybe I don't know what I am taking about.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:44 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
Get on it there Dennis....sounds like a great idea
Ask and you shall receive.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Ask and you shall receive.

Ten Footer - YouTube
LOVE IT! I"m in the market for a two weight switch rod too!

Addicted To Vise