The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 01:05 PM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about
Default What's My Line?

Sorry about the title... I couldn't resist.

I have question that has been bothering me. It stuck me the other day that my line wt may not be what I think it is.
In a recent thread about DT and WF lines, Weight Forward vs Double Taper Lines. it is posted that these two lines are the same for the first 30 feet or so. If that's true, then casting this two lines 30 feet or so should be and feel identical... Right?

I posted that I could feel the differance between my DT and WF when I backcast. Could it be that my WF line is not a 6 wt like my DT is? I'm using a 6 wt rod and I'm thinking it's probably a heavier line...

Oh oh, it just occured to me that my WF is a 6wt and my DT could be a lighter line...

How could you tell what your line is?
Old 11-14-2011, 03:03 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's My Line?

I label the lines when I load them on the reel. I use Lefty Kreh's method.

Use a Sharpie and label the front end of the line with black rings. A thick ring is 5 and a thin ring is 1. So 4 thin black rings around the line is a 4 wt, a single thick ring is a 5, and a thick and thin is a 6 wt.

One look at the spool tells you what weight the line is.

When you compare a DT and a WF line, you also need to make sure the WF is not a specialty WF, but the WF version of the DT line.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 11-14-2011, 05:49 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Try this then label them;
www.common-cents.info/part4.pdf
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 11-14-2011, 07:13 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

The Umpqua line scale is a handy gizmo. The one I have gets plenty of use not only on my lines to confirm things but on friends and fellow club members lines when they're in doubt.
Umpqua - Umpqua? Fly Line Scale
Old 11-14-2011, 11:44 PM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about

I did see Lefty Kreh's video on marking the lines and thought, Man, I should have see this years ago...

I didn't know there was a fly line scale, it doesn't surprise me that there is such a thing.

I like Dr. Bill Flyline Analyzer. it looks simple enough to make and I don't have to remove the entire line from the spool to weight it.

The next I buy flyline, I'll invest in markers too!

Thanks!
Dave
Old 11-15-2011, 01:32 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Perhaps next time you buy a line, its model and size will be written on it. Cortland intiated this a few years back and now SA is doing it on all their new lines. If you own mutiple reels in diverse line weights a "Reel - Line Log" on your computer is something I find helpful. When mounting a new line on a reel I open my Word Doc., enter the date, model, size and amount of backing and, any time I switch lines around, I notate it on the Document. When I store a line on a plastic spool, I write on the label the line size and date so, even if previously used, the newest date represents the line on the spool.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:44 PM

I built Dr. Bill's Fly Line Analyzer. It actually works!
Okay, as far as my line weights, this is want I think I have:

A yellow 6 WT Double Taper Floating line and a green 6 WT Weight Foward floating line.

I measured out and marked 30 feet of each line.
The DT line is approx 165 grains on the scale. That makes it about a 6.7 weight. Okay, no surprise there... This gave me confidence that I built the analyzer correctly.

The WF line is approx 215 grains on the scale. That puts it in the 8 wt lines!
No wonder why I can feel the differance when I cast!

Now the question is: Is 215 grains typical on a 6 wt wf floating line?
(I don't think so...)
Or do I have something else entirely?

Dave
Old 11-18-2011, 08:31 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

The first 30' of a #6 line should be not to far north or south of 160 grains...your line apparently is an 8 weight. Yes, that would feel different.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:32 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting thread, but if you really want to know how heavy a line is you need one of these: American Weigh Scales - Digital Scales Wholesale

This is what folks who actually cut/splice their own lines use; especially if they're making up lines for spey rods. You want a 'head' that's exactly 460 grains? You got one at 460, then just a question of how long you want that head to be.

---------- Post added at 07:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
The first 30' of a #6 line should be not to far north or south of 160 grains...your line apparently is an 8 weight. Yes, that would feel different.
+1 here.