The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 01:33 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Discovery!

I've never been one to experiment on my fly lines but I think I came across a good find a few days ago.
I have an Optic Orange Scientific Anglers line that I use for classes or demonstrations because it is so easy to see in almost any light or background.
I was getting my gear ready for a fly fishing show and when I looked at that line it was mostly black from lawn and parking lot casting (sometimes you just have to do what you have to do when no water or field is nearby)
In the drawer where I keep my SA/3M pads, Ivory bar soap and assorted line lubes and line prep gear was a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I figured why not, the line is toast anyhow so what could it harm?'
That thing IS magic! It took a few swipes with the damp Magic Eraser and Ivory soap and that line is new again. Just to be on the safe side I kissed it with a 3M pad and then gave it a dose of SA Fly Line Dressing and it acted and looked as good as new.

I'm just wondering if anyone else out there has tried Magic Eraser type stuff on their lines and if anyone has any input on what I did.

Regards,
Jack
Old 11-15-2011, 01:37 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Discovery!

Jack: That is an interesting idea, something I have never thought of trying but then again I don't have fly lines quite that dirty.

Larry

Old 11-15-2011, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

This proves the old adage' sometimes you just need a bigger hammer. Like Larry I don't have any that bad yet but my Spey line is getting stained from fishing glaciated rivers and tannin waters with it. Now I know there is hope but I kinda like the olive brown it is turning, I have had to treat it with Mucilin twice this fall because the belly began to ride too low and that made for a bad cast or 2 until I wised up and cleaned it then coated.

I'll keep the Mr. Clean Magic eraser in my memory, I hope............

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-15-2011, 01:55 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Jack,
From my educational background and the company I work for, I am very familiar with the magic eraser material structure (morphology) and how it functions. It is designed to be effective in situations where there is a difference in the relative hardness of the two surfaces (surface of the magic eraser & the surface it is cleaning)

I would be cautious using it against the surface of a fly line which is typically made from PVC based blends. Depending on the size scale at which the abrasion is taking place, one could induce 'stress concentrations' on the surface of the fly line leading to surface cracks down the road. Further, the cleaning action is probably removing the siloxane based surface coating that makes the lines have a low coefficient of friction.

At the minimum, retreating the line with the line dressing is a must after such cleaning.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:18 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticm View Post
Further, the cleaning action is probably removing the siloxane based surface coating that makes the lines have a low coefficient of friction.

At the minimum, retreating the line with the line dressing is a must after such cleaning.
There you go... you just blew my high!

The SA lines have the same finish right down to the core. In fact, SA recommends using just their grey pads which is a micro-abrasive that brings out a fresh, dry and slick surface. The Line Lube they offer is just an option to use on their AST lines.
Does this change your thoughts on using the Magic Eraser in any way?
Old 11-15-2011, 03:18 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Magic Erasers work great for cleaning dirt off of the cork fly rod handles.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 11-17-2011, 01:02 AM

Aw c'mon mysticm, now you have me worried. Please give your thoughts to my follow up to your post just so I know I may not have trashed that line?
Thanks