The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 07:39 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default "Welded" Loops

Now that the majority of new fly lines feature factory loops at least on the leader end and many on the backing end as well, what do you think? Do you like them and use them or cut them off? Importantly, have any of you experienced a failure and had a loop open on you? Do you know how they are made and if they compromise the 20 to 30 lb. strength of the lines themselves?
Old 11-17-2011, 08:32 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: "Welded" Loops

I had but one fail. It cracked at the apex of the loop. I only have them on trout weight lines though so they don't get the stresss that say, a salt water line would.
I'm all for them.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:34 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I had one break years ago, but I have not had one happen lately. Like Jackster, I have only used them on trout lines.

I plan on fishing some Tropical Outbound Short lines in Mexico next summer. I'll give the loops a chance.

Dennis
Old 11-17-2011, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

This thread may be useful to you; http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...spey-line.html I had the mono butt of my leaders cutting through the loops. Then I made these (see link) I like the loops better than nail knots and etc. but they are subject to wear from leader butts. The link demonstrates how I solved the problem. If you make good connectors they will not fail, mine have not.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-17-2011, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I think they don't run easily through the tip guide....haven't broken one yet
Old 11-17-2011, 12:16 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is a fly angler, so I have twice the gear of some. All of my Scientific Angler welded loops eventually fail, cracking at the point where the weld ends. I've never had the heart to clip them off out of the box, but I do make my own loops when the failures occur. Simply form a loop, whip some tying thread around the base, and coat with Pliobond or equivalent. The loops I make have never failed, and that includes some heavy yanking with snagged 3X tippet. The amount of whipping I use has become progressively smaller, and is now much smaller than a factory weld. The latest has a length of 3/4": 3/8" loop, followed by 3/8" of thread with Loctite's Pliobond equivalent. I cut the end of the line at a steep angle before forming the loop. This allows for a smoother transition from loop to line, and avoids that sharp kink that can cause the crack at the base of a welded loop. I've posted pictures here before of my whipped loops, but the loops I'm currently using have much less whipping.

RipTide has said that he uses 3 whips for his saltwater lines, and they hold up dandy.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:59 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

In an effort to avoid the "self appointed expert" syndrom attributed to some (not us!) forum posters, I called a tech rep at RIO. He admits that the loop is a bit less strong than the line itself and can crack at its fold back juncture. He does not think this failure is common and acknwleges that loops are a popular feature because many anglers are not that adept at fashioning mult-turn nail or Albright knots. He also pointed out that on big game lines they leave the loops off as tarpon, travely and tuna fishermen cut them off anyway. Further he agreed that a loop constructed with wip finishes or nail knots is stronger than the nice clean heat sealed and re-coated factory loops. What I did not realize is that, unlike SA which uses braided mono on their salt water lines, RIO uses a proprietary single strand mono core. They do, like SA, use braided multi-filament cores on the trout lines though.

For me, the up-shot is that on my new bonefish lines heading to the Bahamas with me in a couple weeks I will treat the loop as a doubled over line, pass the butt section of #40 Flouro through the loop, tie a 10-12 turn nail knot over the loop and make a perfection loop 4' down to loop the next section of #30 to. This way I can have a loop on modular leader length system while eliminating the potential failure of the welded loop.

I'm glad I asked you all.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:59 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

cut them off ,they all crack on me and hang in the guides.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:18 PM

dans89 is on a distinguished road

I've been considering clipping mine off for a while now, but I haven't had any problems with it so I think I'll keep it.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:28 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I have yet to have one fail on me, but I primarily fish for trout, Great Lakes Steel, and on occasion smallies. If they do fail, I'll go with the nail knot and loop to loop since this can be done in the field. I may pull out some old line and practice making welded loops with it over the winter when I need a break from tying.