The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2011, 08:06 PM
hollyw00d will become famous soon enoughhollyw00d will become famous soon enough
Default backing care/maintenance

do you need to maintain backing in some manner to prevent it from molding or does a vented spool take care of that pretty well?
Old 11-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: backing care/maintenance

I have never had a problem with backing but then I do not dunk my reels. Some of the reels have backing that has been on them a long time and no problems are evident. If you have your backing pulled out & into the river frequently or if you often allow the reel to be submerged there could arise a problem but I have never had it.

Hope that helps,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-19-2011, 03:53 PM
hollyw00d will become famous soon enoughhollyw00d will become famous soon enough

thanks Ard. just curious if i need to to squirt any magic juice on their periodically, but it sounds like no maintenance is required. i'm a fan.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:55 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I would not be concerned unless you fish saltwater on a regular basis.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:54 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

I've dunked my reels in the past on many occassions. All I do is allow the reel to air dry overnight, then put in back in my reel pouch. As far as caring for it, in all my years of flyfishing, I never have.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:54 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

from the Cortland web-site
general information about their braided lines
Quote:
Individual types of braid are specially treated with our environmentally responsible proprietary coatings and dyes. Some are waterproofed to shed water, reducing line weight and helping to keep hands dry in cold weather. Anti-rot agents and other specialized treatments are applied at this time to achieve the desired results.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:47 AM

thanks Rip Tide. that's good info.