The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2010, 09:10 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roll Your Own...Leaders

Couple of thoughts: if you go the way of a furled leader all you'll need is a spool or two of tippet material to end it off. But, they're inexpensive to buy, so just buy a couple and be done with it. That said, if you have a choice get one that ends up with a 'tippet ring.' These are tiny rings that your tippet attaches to. Want to change the 'end game,' just snip it off and tie on a new bit.

A second though is the simple 'formula' that's been used for years: 60-20-20. 60% butt material, step down by 50% for the first 20, then another 50% to your final (20%) tippet size. Simple way to connect the sections is a tripple water/surgeons knot.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:38 PM

bradyb will become famous soon enoughbradyb will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Roll Your Own...Leaders

triple surgeon/ water knots are very strong, and i'll use 'em in a hurry on stream, but i like the uni to uni knot for how small and streamlined it is, and i think its stronger and easier to tie than a blood knot. i find no problem with a 3 line(plus tippet if needed) leader system. 30/20 lb to 15/12 lb to 8 lb to 6,5,or 4 lb tippet. get some spools of maxima and be done. never understood the kits. am i really paying for a knot tying helper? please.... you're not gonna carry some line holder to the river. spools, spools, spools.