The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2010, 11:41 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Roll Your Own...Leaders

I read an artical that said that tying your own leaders was pennies on the dollar compared to buying tapered leaders. I'm interested in tying my own leaders, because frankly I need to save as much money as possible. Especially on the week long trip my son and I are taking near the end of July up to Fish the Pit, Mc Cloud, etc..

What would be the best line for me to start out with? Since I've never done my own before I have no idea if I should just go by some mono at Walmart or what and what brand etc. I figure I'd tie a bunch of 9 footers since it's been a while since I've fished.

Is there any other question I should ask that I haven't thought of?
Old 06-28-2010, 12:19 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roll Your Own...Leaders

There's a small investment going in, but I think it's well worth rolling your own
Not only in money saved, but more importantly in the understanding you'll gain in what's important in leader design and why one is better than another in a given situation.
You should definitely buy a ' leader tie kit' rather than random spools of mono.
The Mason kits are available on ebay for $25, but better material from Maxima or Umqua are more like $45-50. The Frog's Hair Kit is $100 but with that you get a stand-up jig to tie your blood knots.
I tie my knots by hand but the Dennison Blood Knot Tool works the same as the Frog's Hair tool for a fraction of the cost.
You can find plenty of leader formulas online, but you should get some with your kit
I bought my original kit from Orvis and have used those formulas and other's that I've read about or developed myself for over 20 years

Dennison Blood Knot Tyer
Click the image to open in full size.

The Frogs Hair kit
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Rip Tide; 06-28-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:16 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Fishingmonkey,
Here is a leader design that is popular for nymph fishing the pocket waters of the McCloud and the Pit. In these waters, you will be tight line nymphing. In many cases, your indicator won't even be touching the water. With the body consisting of straight fluorocarbon, it will cut through the water faster than a tapered body. Fluoro is expensive. If you need to save money, you can go with whatever brand monofilament of your choosing. Some call this a hinge system leader since the leader body hinges off the loop of the butt section.

Butt section - 3 feet of .024" monofilament (30 to 40 pound test). Place a perfection loop on the end of the it. The indicator will be placed somewhere on the butt section.

Leader body - 8 feet of 3x tippet material. Place a Perfection Loop the end that will attach to the butt section. The other end will be the terminal end for the point fly.

Dropper tippet - tie 18" of 4x or 5x tippet material (depending on the size of the fly) to the hook bend of the point fly and the hook eye of the dropper.

As for general purpose leaders, you can find tutorials online.

MP

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 06-29-2010 at 12:59 AM. Reason: typo, added a sentence
Old 06-28-2010, 10:51 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

The guys have this pretty well nailed down so my comment will be along the lines of educational value. What making my own leaders did for me was to teach me a little more about the physics that are intrinsic to the fly cast; specifically the presentation of the fly. Beyond this I was able to design leaders for every application. From tiny brooks to big rivers and even a nice triple dropper rig when I wanted one.

So when your budget allows for the acquisition of a leader kit, yes, learn to make leaders.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-29-2010, 10:00 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I agree totally with Hardy. It is all about the presentation of dry flies. Nymphs and streamers really aren't a presentation thing, BUT it is easier to cast a well tapered leader.

I have the Frog Hair kit and love it for what it has to offer. The knot tying base is awesome.

You can do as I did and go with the best or you can really skimp and just buy three different diameter mono.

You can make them as cheap and as simple as you want and they will catch fish.

I make them out of 3' of 20lb, to 2' of 14lb to 2' of 10lb to 3' of 8lb for my Carp fishing. Simple blood knot and it works.

But if I am going for the really clear water and spooky fish, I break out the Frog Hair kit and will us up to 10 different weight/diameter mono to get a very specialize taper to present a #28 very delicately to the fish.

OR, I just use a 5 step down furled leader and add tippet diameter that is appropriate to the species and flies.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:58 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Wow thanks everyone for the replies.

Now I'm debating about using just using Joni's furled leaders and also tying to my own "furled" leader as shown in the video in this forum. If the ones in the YouTube video cast like other furled leaders that would really be the ticket for saving money.

Several things I'm not clear about making the ones in YouTube video.

What pound test mono should I use fishing line or should I just use mono tippit material and if so what size(s) for my trip to the Upper Sac, Pit, and Mccloud in July?

If I use just mono fishing line which brand and model would be best to get the right diameter mono?

Will the Youtube video "furling" method work with flourocarbon for nymph fishing?
Old 06-29-2010, 09:12 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingmonkey View Post
What pound test mono should I use fishing line or should I just use mono tippit material and if so what size(s) for my trip to the Upper Sac, Pit, and Mccloud in July?
You need to base your leader/tippet size to the bugs that are out there. Keep your tippet size ranging from 3 (6x) to 8 (3x) pound test. You will be using heavier materials for Golden Stoneflies and lighter tippets for PMD mayflies.

Quote:
If I use just mono fishing line which brand and model would be best to get the right diameter mono?
That's a good question. Don't know what to tell you.

Quote:
Will the Youtube video "furling" method work with flourocarbon for nymph fishing?
I'll leave that to those who use furled leaders.

MP
Old 08-12-2010, 01:53 PM

trez is on a distinguished road

I haven't tried it yet but here is a good step by step instructiuon guide for furled leaders.
Twined or furled leaders - Step one - the concept - Global FlyFisher

This is for the more complex designs with several tapers. Just noticed that this is an old thread......
Hope this helps.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:21 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe this will help, it's a link to twisting your own, similar to furled but no jig required. I use 2x mono for these for most of my trout leaders and 0x for my short coho leaders.

" title="Twisted Leaders slideshow by kglissmeyer - Photobucket" target="_blank">Twisted Leaders slideshow by kglissmeyer - Photobucket
bw
Kelly.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:20 PM

flatslandercp has a spectacular aura aboutflatslandercp has a spectacular aura about

FM - if you're talking about our video (posted by captsodie) on youtube and/or our website:

A good start is to use mono (never hard mono like Mason) of the same pound test as your rod weight. From there, move up or down to suit your casting style and type of fishing.

We use Ande mono because we build IGFA compliant tippets with it, but cheap mono from WallyWorld will work just fine. If you're looking for smaller diameter, you will affect the weight, which will affect the transfer of energy, which will affect the turnover. For me, diameter isn't a big deal. One of the easiest materials I've ever used is Scientific Anglers tippet material. I got a spool with an order and it was very easy to work with.

We don't make them from flouro, but have had comments on the youtube site who have.

Visit our web site for a link to my article on the process, with more photos and directions.

Craig